Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium 5 Speed Manual
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Just wanted to post real quick and remind everyone to not put off changing your differential fluids. I just bought a 2010 fozzy used with 36k miles. The tranny (manual) was kind of knotchy to shift. I decided to change out the differential fluids/manual transmission fluid and WOW what a difference in shifting. Going through the gears is so much smoother. Have a good one guys! :woohoo:

·
Registered
03 Forester XS MT
208 Posts
I drained/filled rear dif with M1 75w90. No complaints.

What MTF did you go with?

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,024 Posts
The rear needs a very early change IMHO. I initially changed at around 10K miles and it was mighty ugly and loaded with shavings. The second change at like 25K...oil looked like new. Change it out every 25K....probably a wast of time now. I must admit though I did not do any oil analysis....looks can be deceiving.
The front diff oil looked like new the first time I changed. I have only changed it three times.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium 5 Speed Manual
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I drained/filled rear dif with M1 75w90. No complaints.

What MTF did you go with?
I went with just advanced auto's brand 75w-90 full synthetic. Very hard to find 75w-90 around here.

I know you say you're not having any problems now, but M1 is known to cause problems with manual transmissions. It isn't the greatest for our synchronizers as it's designed to work with limited slip differentials. Just something to keep in mind if you start having problems down the road

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.