Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, first post! 07 Xs 156k miles. I have a noticeable amount of play in my passenger front wheel at 3 and 9 oclock but not 12 and 6. I can also feel this wobble when driving above 20mph.

I have replaced the wheel bearing, ball joint, and CV axle on this particular wheel recently (DIY) and am still noticing this wobble. I have also replaced both rear wheel bearings recently and those seem fine so I am somewhat confident I did the install properly (had all bearing pressed in at a shop).

Any ideas what it could be? Also any suggestions for additional parts to replace if I have to take the front suspension apart again? A family member works at an auto store so I get parts at a steep discount. Thanks!

·
Administrator
15,410 Posts
G'day & Welcome @Shnatuk21

Maybe the housing itself is too far worn so needs replacing?

For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Public Profile". Specifically, the "About Me" section (Edit Your Details). This displays every time you make a post on the forum. This will provide information members may need to reply to your forum posts. You can edit this field via the "User Control Panel", aka, "User CP.

If you're using a mobile device, you may need to use a laptop or desktop computer to see all the user tools.

·
Administrator
15,410 Posts
OK - so if the hub and bearing were replaced there should be no wobble in that assembly. So is the movement caused by worn steering tie rods?

Does the car drift and/or tram track?

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
312 Posts
Since you've already replaced the wheel bearing/hub and ball joint on that side my money is with @Kevin on the tie rod end. Specifically the outer. Play at 9 and 3 almost always points to an outer tie rod end or wheel bearing, but bad wheel bearings will usually have play at any position on the clock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the inner and outer tie rods off right now and there is a lot of free play in the inner tie rod so that may be the problem. Going to replace both and update you guys

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Kevin and @snowed I think that may have resolved the issue. Might go ahead and do the tire rods, ball joint, and bearing on the driver side front and that should complete my unintended rebuild of most of the major suspension components haha. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So here's an update: replacing the wheel bearings etc and getting an alignment done at a shop seems to have helped significantly. No more wheel noise or steering issues.

But now I have a new issue... a knocking noise in the front end (driver side?) When going over bumps and a vibration of the steering wheel above 20mph. I am thinking of replacing the front struts because they are all original OEM parts with 150k miles. If this is the problem would quick struts be the fix? I have heard conflicting opinions of quick struts but they are obviously the easiest install. Any opinions on this? I have also read in other threads about this being a steering column issue, but the struts are old so I have my doubts. Thanks as always guys.

·
Registered
2003 Forester X 5 MT
522 Posts
The noise could be the upper bearing on the strut mount. Definitely the quick strut route is way easier but as you say quality can be an issue. I know KYB makes strut assemblies for some Subaru's but not sure if they make them for your car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another update reply: I replaced the front struts with monroe quick struts. I am still hearing the front end knocking/popping noise especially at lower speeds over bumps and during certain cornering. This leads me to believe it may be a sway bar bushing or control arm bushing. But I think it may be getting worse as I am getting a steering wheel vibration on the highway that is slightly concerning. Any thoughts? I may bring it in to the local dealer if this keeps up because I'm perplexed at this point lol. Thanks

·
Administrator
15,410 Posts
Worm control arm bushes will cause wandering and potential knocking if badly worn (this would be fairly obvious when viewed under the vehicle). A worn sway bar bush or endlink could cause a knock but won't cause steering vibration.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts