Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester Sports2.5XT 5MT
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the long title:

Here is the issue; when driving in wet conditions, after about 30-40 minutes on the road, all highway driving, when breaking, my front passenger wheel wobbles terribly. It starts as a shudder, and as distance becomes greater, it becomes a down right nasty wobble. I noticed it a few times about 6 months ago, but have noticed it much more lately (New England weather has been extremely rainy lately). If I pull over and chill for about 4 minutes, it seems to get better for a bit, until mileage begins to build up again. In this 4 minute pause, I used my torque wrench to make sure the lugs are properly torqued (75ftlbs).

Specs of car:

2008 Forester 2.5xt Sports 42,350 miles
Original factory installed brakes
Swift Springs
recent alignment
15" black steelies with Blizzaks

What is causing this?

I appreciate in advance any advice.

Ryan

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only when braking. I have not jacked it up, but could. I also only really notice it when in wet weather. In dry, it doesn't seem to be a problem.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, Jacked the offending wheel up. No wobbling or anything loose. Wheel would turn as far as normal in both directions, attempted forced wiggling produced nothing strange.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
Could the caliper be hanging up causing pad to stay in contact with the rotor and warping it when hot?

·
Registered
2003 Forester X Auto
947 Posts
Could be broken belt in tire that gets worse as it warms up. Just about time to change to the summer/all season rubber anyways, so maybe try that. It would rule out possible tire problems. If it still persists after trying that then maybe it is a sticking caliper or the brake sliders are seized after being in the salt and sand all winter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts