Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First things first. No drug jokes.

Just wondering if anyone has put one in?

What are the options? Would the sti work. (No idea why anyone would sell just the lsd)

What would be the cheapest way to get one and install it?

To start this thread off I've always seen various models for sale and they are always $1,000. I also think you have to install this in the transmission which is never cheap to work on.

Lets see some ideas.

Bland...

·
FXT Alumnus
662 Posts
I am interested to hear too.

Auto Xing in a new class(ESP) this year that allows LSD :p

From what I hear the part cost might be the cheapest part of the total cost.:(

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
There is the OBX Helical brand that comes up on E-bay all the time. Hondadudes say they are junk.

You might be able to get a Quaife unit made for the Impreza to fit, they're only $1495!!

There is the Phantom Grip that somebody on the old board had installed. It is cheap, but based on what I've seen of the design (aluminum to aluminum provides the friction!), I wouldn't put one on my vehicle.

There are some clutch units, but I forget the brand. These are probably the most widely available though. However, clutches wear out, so that will be a lot of work to tear the trans apart every time you need new plates. That could happen every 200k miles or every 30k miles, depending on your driving and the quality of the plates.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
1,433 Posts
+1 for a front LSD. If anybody has done this on a SG let us know.

Ploney, you would be the **** in ESP with a front LSD!
GTP, if you're going SM you would probably need one to be competitive.

·
Registered
07 FXT Sports 5MT
360 Posts
Not in a Forester, but yes in my Impreza

um....
not something i would recommend for the street

creates a lot of understeer (unless accompanied by an LSD Center diff as well)

Jamie

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have suretrak front and rear LSDs in my XT (from complete 6mt exchange from 05 XT Sti) and think they are great. Can now boot it round corners and the front sticks instead of lighting up the inside wheel.

I guess different LSDs work in different ways

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Subie Gal. You say it would create understeer unless accompanied by an LSD Center diff.

I thought that's how the subaru AWD system worked. Lsd in back, middle and the front is left open except on the sti. Is it that the center is not powerful enough to be able to handle a front lsd?

Bland...

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Not in a Forester, but yes in my Impreza

um....
not something i would recommend for the street

creates a lot of understeer (unless accompanied by an LSD Center diff as well)

Jamie
Of course it all depends on type of limited slip action and stiffness, stiffer centre VC's increase understeer so stiffening that and adding any front LSD will worsen understeer, best diffs for not inducing understeer are the gleason Torsen type, but vthey increase apparent torque steer, suretrac also have similar results...

Simon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts