Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FSXT
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today after softball practice I bottomed out something fierce! I didnt think much of it until the lip fell off in the middle of an intersection!

My kids were like dad!!! Your bumper fell off!! Luckily I was able to whip around and grab it before people started to run it over.

So after getting it home I was able to access the damage. It appears that it broke some of the holes it mounted up too and also missing some of the hardware. Luckily I have some spare plastic screw things lying around.

I do have a few cracks not to bad.

Anyone suggest something to fix the cracks? Also maybe some adhesive and I will be able to reattach it to the bumper??

:icon_redface:

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
Maybe you could use a fiberglass body repair-kit from NAPA or other parts store. These kits come with a resin, hardener, and fiberglass cloth.

You could always remove the bumper, and do the work on the inside area of the bumper so the patch is not shown on the outside surface (?). The cracks will still show depending on how much gap there is. You can always stitch the cracks together with stainless safety-wire but in this case the stitches will show. Fiberglass may be a better option since once it's applied and the resin sets, it's very strong. If you use a fiberglass kit, remember to tape the cracks (on the outside surface) with painter's tape (blue-color and very strong masking tape). The idea is to close and hold the cracks together before you repair the other side (the inside area). You can also use duct tape, but this tape can sometimes pull some of the paint off if left on painted surfaces too long.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
Where the heck were you driving that you bottomed out your lip that badly?
I never thought you were all that low to begin with...

which lip are you running though? Your best bet is likely the fibreglass route, be sure to prep the surface with a coarse sandpaper before trying to bond anything to it though, especially if you've got the OEM plastic lip.

If you are fixing the bumper itself... perhaps try some large sheetmetal washers before doing any kind of bumper repairs.

·
Registered
06 FXT-6MT happening
341 Posts
This stuff below is absolutely bullet proof when it comes to bonding polypropylene. I have used it on many motorcycle parts over the years and it is flawless. The part you bond will actually be stronger than the original plastic was.

It does however require you to buy the dispenser "gun" which is like $35.00, and you also need to buy a couple of mixing nozzles that fit on the front of the gun. Working time is pretty short, and if you are bonding a lip back together, it pays to buy a small strip of polypropylene from McMaster.com as a backer that you bond over the cracked areas.
You can also just cut up a storage container made of PP and use that as a backer....just look for the triangle symbol on the container to confirm that it is in fact PP.

There is NOTHING out there that works better than this stuff for PP bonding....I have tried a lot of things....

Stealth 316 - Sealing and Bonding Polypropylene and Polyethylene

There is also this stuff below,

3M Scotch-Weld Industrial Plastic Adhesive 4475 - single part adhesive for polypropylene (have not tried this, no clue how good it works)

·
Registered
07 fxt
396 Posts
x2 on that stuff^^^
my buddy that races wmrra uses it on his and all his teammates bikes

1 - 6 of 6 Posts