Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find a good license plate bracket or frame for the front of my Forester that can attach to two drilled holes in the front of my car, and which contains four holes for a license plate, so that the bottom two will support having an external EZPass transponder. I purchased an external EZPass transponder that goes above the license plate, since the windshield transponders seemingly could interfere with EyeSight. However, I only have two holes drilled into my front bumper by the dealer, and so putting the transponder in those holes above the top of the license plate leads to obstructing the state name, which is illegal in some states. (See ezpassva.com/pdfs/bumpinstruc.pdf for example.)

I purchased an Adapter Foundry bracket that uses the Japanese holes but I'm not sold on the rubber fasteners since they don't seem particularly secure (and upon further review, some reviewers on Amazon apparently said that it fell off their car at some point). Hence, I'm trying to find another bracket that can attach more securely.

Any suggestions would be appreciated; thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
2018 Forester 6MT
56 Posts
@jmendelson Do you have any particular requirements for the bracket? Otherwise, it seems like pretty much any solid 4-hole (rear) bracket should work.

I don't remember the specific brand, but I got some stainless steel ones off of Amazon a few years ago. With some pieces of aluminum straight bar, a vise, and a couple extra bolts from the hardware store, I have been using the attached solution. The white Plastidip is starting to show a little wear (plus the car is dirty). it isn't elegant, but it works, is out of the way, and doesn't block any license plate items.

I feel like I might be missing something in your post though.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am trying to find a good license plate bracket or frame for the front of my Forester that can attach to two drilled holes in the front of my car, and which contains four holes for a license plate, so that the bottom two will support having an external EZPass transponder. I purchased an external EZPass transponder that goes above the license plate, since the windshield transponders seemingly could interfere with EyeSight. However, I only have two holes drilled into my front bumper by the dealer, and so putting the transponder in those holes above the top of the license plate leads to obstructing the state name, which is illegal in some states. (See ezpassva.com/pdfs/bumpinstruc.pdf for example.)

I purchased an Adapter Foundry bracket that uses the Japanese holes but I'm not sold on the rubber fasteners since they don't seem particularly secure (and upon further review, some reviewers on Amazon apparently said that it fell off their car at some point). Hence, I'm trying to find another bracket that can attach more securely.

Any suggestions would be appreciated; thank you in advance.
Here you go: https://subaruonlineparts.com/advan...icense+plate+forester&search_in_description=1

The previous post seems to show the same product. My link is to a Subaru dealer in New York. Make sure you pick the right year and turbo or non-turbo since the bumper shape is different. I have the turbo version on my Forester and it seems to match what you describe.

·
Registered
2017 XT Touring
81 Posts
I hate these extraneous gadgets attached to my vehicles. Fortunately, In California you don't even have to have a transponder on/in your car.

My wife's Cross Trek is listed on our account and has no transponder. Fast Trak captures her license plate number when she passes through the toll plaza and bills our account.

There is a transponder in my car but it never leaves the confines of my center console. Never had a single problem either.

IMO, an external transponder is just an invitation for theft. And a thief isn't gonna take the time to gently unscrew the transponder. He'll just rip it off your bumper.

You should check to see if Fast Trak in your locality works like ours does.

Also, I've had the Adapter Foundry plate mount on my car for 18 months now. It's never budged. I was fortunate that my dealer did not drill my bumper to fit US spec plates and I wanted to keep the bumper pristine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts