Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Forester, Automatic.

I noticed the front left rotor on my daughters car was rusty and found it's caliper is not actuating. No fluid from the bleeder even when pedal is pressed, it's bone dry. I could find no leaks and was able to bleed the other three wheels no problem.

I figured it could be a malfunctioning equalizer but the only one I saw was for the rear brakes. I would expect that a clogged line would still let some semblance of fluid through, but maybe not. I've heard of the flex lines swelling before. Maybe the problem is in the ABS unit, that's probably about as far back as the problem could go since the other wheels are braking. I was going to crack the banjo bolt but then figured if I'm not getting anything from the bleeder then there's probably nothing there either.

Thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Forester CVT
32 Posts
Try cracking the banjo bolt. If nothing there, it is upstream. If there is, could be a blockage in the caliper itself.

·
Registered
2004 Forester
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE - I cracked the connection at the ABS pump and got fluid so I cracked the banjo bolt and got fluid there too. Still nothing at the bleeder until I completely removed it, then there was a dribble from the threaded hole. The brake pads still have a little life left in them, they aren't shot but not great either. No seepage around the pistons. The slide pins seem to move okay.

So... maybe it is a brake line restriction.

·
Registered
2004 Forester
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To follow up... I ended up resolving this by disconnecting the banjo bolt and opening the master cylinder cap. After about 30 minutes it was dripping. I hooked it up and was able to bleed it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts