Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got this repair lined up for my 2004 XT 4EAT and I'm wondering if someone could verify that I'm looking at the right parts.

Front Inner CV Boot - 28323SA020
Boot Clamp Big - 28024FC020
Boot Clamp Small - 28024FC030
Snap Ring - 28035FC000

I'm using this site but they seem to have two different part numbers for each part I need. I'm just looking to replace the left and right inner boots, the big and small clamps, and maybe the snap rings if that is necessary. If anyone has any grease suggestions I would welcome those as well.

Edit: It looks like Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease is good to use.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As a follow-up, the CV boot and clamps are the right part numbers. I'm going to reuse the snap rings so I can't verify that number. I'll do the replacement tomorrow and hope everything goes well. It doesn't look like it will be too difficult.

Here is the video I'm using as my guide

The Subaru clamps use this type of pliers:

pliers

·
Registered
2003 Forester X 5 MT
522 Posts
Wear rubber gloves and have lots and lots of shop towels. Snap rings shouldn't need to be replaced unless damaged.

IIRC it is important to keep the relationship between the bearings and the housing the same.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm replacing both boots so I have a question. Do I keep the relationship the same as in keeping them on the same side of the car (driver and passenger) or the same orientation as when they come out of the housing (I assume that is the green thing in the video)?

OK, I ran into a problem. When taking the driver side boot off I discovered that one of the bearing rings is missing from the tripod/CV inner joint (these might not be the right terms).

I'm talking about the metal piece with the three wheels in the picture above.

I've looked for the Subaru part number with no luck. I went to the dealership and they wanted me to buy a whole new assembly for $236. I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do next.

This was the kit I was looking to buy

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HAOTFIW/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A6JK0PO3GJYXY&psc=1

The tripod/inner CV joint is also stuck on the axle after I removed the snap ring.

Anyone got any tips?

Edit: Sorry for the massive picture

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And the journey continues. After talking to a couple of different places no one seems to know where to get the part I need. The solution appears to be buying the whole joint kit, which might be overkill but it will get the job done. This thread came to the same conclusion:

https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/i-failed-replacing-inner-cv-boot-solved-742497/

Frustrating for sure but there are worse ways to spend a day than wrenching on your car and drinking a few beers in the sun.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
1,000 Posts
How was the final product? I would be a little worried if the joint had been driven on too far with one of the rollers flung out of the assembly.

I have a set of my old OEM axles in the garage with 200,000 mi on them that i'm considering rebooting.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How was the final product? I would be a little worried if the joint had been driven on too far with one of the rollers flung out of the assembly.

I have a set of my old OEM axles in the garage with 200,000 mi on them that i'm considering rebooting.
I ended up taking it to the dealership because I was at a loss as to what parts I needed. I almost ordered a replacement part from a German website but thought better of it after reading other users' experiences with non-Subaru bearings. They had to order half of the front drive axle because Subaru doesn't sell the tri-pot assembly/spider by itself. That made it a bit more expensive than I wanted, but I really didn't have a choice. The end result was a working vehicle.

As to your comment about driving with one of the bearings missing, the technician I talked to was very surprised that I was able to drive around (probably very stupid on my part). He said they usually were so loud and wobbly that people wouldn't drive for fear of shaking the car apart. I had wobble over 35 mph but no noise or rattling.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
1,000 Posts
ah, at least its back on the road. In the future, definitely check out raxles if you were gonna replace the entire axle yourself. Cheaper than OEM but a lot better than other reman units. I would have gone that route if Raxles had any available for my 2010, which they did not at the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts