Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester X 5 speed
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having an issue where; when the engine is running you hear a whining noise. The sound is coming directly in the front of the engine near the alternator and belts. When I pull the accelerator cable to bring the RPMs up it gets louder. When Idle the noise is always there. It doesn't sound like it's actually coming from the engine though; So I'm thinking it's a bearing or something in the front. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT AUTO
92 Posts
Could be power steering pump. Check fluid. I was having a whine when cold, dealer diagnosed tensioners and belts.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester
2,634 Posts
Could be power steering pump. Check fluid. I was having a whine when cold, dealer diagnosed tensioners and belts.

I had the same noise in my 2001 Forester. Turned out to be the HVAC Idler Pulley. At first I thought it was the power steering pump, but I listened for the sound more carefully and sound like it was coming from the Alternator. I took a chance on the $30 idler pulley and that was it.

·
Registered
2003 Forester X 5 speed
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe it's coming from near the A/C compressor. I'm willing to bet it's that idler pully as well. It's the smallest of all pulleys and more prone to wear from rotation. I'm gonna run the car without the belt just to make sure it's not another issue. Thanks for the suggestions everyone! :)

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
541 Posts
My 05 XT (110,000 miles) had a similar noise. (And the steering wheel was jerky turning right)
A new power steering pump solved the issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts