Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 98 Legacy thumps in the front end when turning at slow speeds, especially when accelerating. I've put the car in front wheel drive, and that's solved the problem (temporarily). What causes this? Expensive?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is the AWD system for this car not the same as a Foresters?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
Sounds like torque bind maybe? Do all four of the tires match?

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have had a similar problem with my Forester, however less of a "thump" and more of a loud clicking. It started after I installed wider 225 tires, thought it was rubbing, however I can't find any signs of rubbing.

It happens at the same time as you describe, and I think it only happens when I am turning and accelerating at same time. Sorry to hijack your thread Sexy Sally, however maybe we are having a similar problem.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm... Yes, all 4 tires match. Nachas, it does only occur when accelerating through a turn, at less than 30 km/h. Does the same problem occur if you put the vehicle in front wheel drive? (ie. disable the AWD system)

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
I've had that happen to me once or twice in the Lowes parking lot, just after they had the pavement re-sealed.
I assumed the sealant layer was making it stickier than usual and causing some binding.
It has never happened to me anywhere else or ever again.

·
Registered
618 Posts
well I can't disable my AWD so I dont know Sexy Sally. Hmm so what exactly is "binding," if that is what is going on?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The method on my 01 Forester is slightly different from the Legacy, but I tried it out in my Fozzie and it works. Not sure if it will be identical with your 02 Forester. First, open your main fuse box, on the drivers side under the hood. Take one of the spare 10 A fuses (in the lid of the box). Insert the fuse into the FWD receptacle (top right, or refer to the diagram on the box lid). It's that simple. Turn the car on and you should see the FWD warning light come on. Your car is now in FWD.

BTW, running the Legacy in FWD is very different. You sure notice, especially when accelerating on gravel surfaces or climbing hills. (I guess the Legacy was never for off roading anyway!)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got around to fixing this problem. The dealer replaced the transfer clutch pack. Nice to have AWD back, just in time for winter too.

·
Administrator
15,379 Posts
Thanks for the update - good to know what symptoms to watch out for in future!

(BTW - FWD can only be activated in autos and can be useful at times)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts