Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys, good day...just wana know where to get these differential side oil seals for use after one pops the front driveshaft out of the bell housing....i've been searching all day for them....dono

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hello abus,

You can get them from a Subaru dealer only, I have not seen them anywhere else.

There is a left side and right side, if you put them backwards the axles will pump the fluid out (at least, on my 2001 automatic transmission that is how it worked).

Annapolis Subaru is a supporting vendor, contact SubaruPartsGirl and she will get you sorted.

Be very, very careful when replacing these - the part that gets unscrewed to access them is the part that sets the preload on the differential carrier bearings! You must make a mark, count the number of turns it took to remove the part, and put it back with *exactly* the same number of turns and to the *exact* same place!

Stay warm. :biggrin: Today it is -3 Celsius/27 degrees F in Chicagoland, and the snow is falling...

·
Registered
1999 Forester
2 Posts
1999 subaru forester CV shaft seal cover

I made a huge mistake and removed the differential seal cover without counting the turns out. How do I reset the preload on the differential bearings. Wish I had came to this site before I ripped into it I knew I messed up as soon as I saw the bearing race on the cover. :( Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
Not only do they set the preload on the carrier bearings the right side is also used to adjust the backlash of the ring gear to the pinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts