Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester X 2.5 AT Auto
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to drain/fill front and rear diff lube and replace the 4 qts of AT fluid from draining AT pan. Rear diff and AT pan went fine, no issue with getting the drain/fill plugs out. Went to the front diff with new T70 bit and breaker bar in hand. Had cleaned and soaked drain plug with PB Blaster hours earlier. Had the car on ramps, had bit nice and square in the hole. Was putting pressure on breaker bar and heard the snap of breaking metal. Thought for sure it was the bit, but was two star teeth from the plug. Was pressed for time and wanted to complete the fluid change, so decided to try my siphon pump that I had used to fill the rear diff. Didn't know how much I'd get out, but nothing to lose at this point. I had just enough hose that fit nicely down the dipstick/fill tube. Happily, I was able to quickly and easily extract just over a quart of old fluid. Not bad, considering the capacity is 1.3 qts. Of course, I wasn't able to access and clean the drain plug magnet, but was still able to get nearly all of the old lube out and new in. At some point, with the appropriate time and tools, I will work on getting out and replacing the drain plug, but putting this out there for anyone else who may face this situation and just needs to get the job done until proper repairs can be made. NOTE-I did this with the diff cool. If you do this, I wouldn't try it with a hot diff, I think you'd run the risk of the plastic tubing the comes with the pump melting inside the diff.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts