Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to change my front differential oil on a 2015 Forester 2.5i cvt. Attached is a photo of the front passenger side. Can someone please circle where the drain and fill plugs are located?

I don’t want to make a mistake. Thanks so much
03540054-D7C5-4365-9A6C-E10C31D733F8.jpeg

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Look at the bottom for the drain plug..
It says DIFF next t o it. There is also a smaller plug on the bottom that will overflow with oil when the diff is full. I think it is connected to a tube that is open at the correct fill so once it overlaps the tube it will drain the excess. Not sure on which is the fill other than it is on the passenger side in the US.

No mention of what country you are in... it matters!

Undo the wrong plug and you could fill your trans with diff lube... and be running a dry diff

Search front diff change and you will find plenty

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,926 Posts
Make sure you remove the overflow/fill plug first... If you have a problem removing it, it isn't as big of a problem as removing the drain plug and discovering that you can't fill it, because the fill plug can't be removed...
As MFGA said, the drain plug is on the bottom of the diff, so it can't be seen in your photo, and the fill is slightly above it. Both are obvious when you look. There are some good you tubes out there as well.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
I think he had the fill in one of his pics. I think it is CV lose to the cv
This forum has plenty,,, just throw in the search terms

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanks but there are no plugs marked diff. I’m in the USA. There is a cover next to the diff. Do you remove that or is that for the cvt? The image shows the passenger side. The drain plug is probably not in the photo. Is it on the bottom?

There are a few diy how to threads here but the location of the plugs are not totally clear. I don’t want to drain the cvt. Thanks

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
There are a few diy how to threads here but the location of the plugs are not totally clear. I don’t want to drain the cvt. Thanks
Using the search terms I gave, look at the 2nd and 3rd links/ results and your ?'s will be answered,,, includes pic's.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you. So these are the drain and check plugs. The third plug, is near the front tire shown in my photo above? The fill plug? Is this correct? Total of three plugs?

Is there an FSM diagram for 2014-2015 front diff plug locations that someone can post please?

Sorry for all the questions but I do not want to make the mistake I’ve read about here. Draining the cvt. Thank you all much appreciated.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks. I’ve done diff oil changes on older Foresters but the new models can be a bit confusing so I just wanted to be 100% sure. Too many mishaps posted here. ;). All good now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts