Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 FXT
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after a bit of spirited driving, I started to smell burning diff fluid, and it turns out the there’s a bit of diff fluid coming out of the front dipstick port, thus creating the smell, and the dipstick was loose.

Pulled the dipstick out and noticed the o-ring was dislodged from its groove and pushed all the way to the top of the dipstick near the handle. So I pushed it back into the groove and strangely the dipstick didn’t go all the way back in anymore. There is still about an inch gap when the o-ring is properly seated. Thought it was weird so replaced the o-ring with a new (less expanded) one and it still didn’t go all the way in. Checked inside the diff housing and couldn’t feel anything unusual. The only way the dipstick goes all the way in is when I remove the o ring, but then it’s sort of rattling loose and under harder driving will continue to leak out some fluid.

Anyone have experienced any problem with dipstick not going back in?

It’s a 2012 XT with 96,000 kms. Last replaced the Amsoil synthetic 75w-90 diff fluid 30,000 kms ago.

Thanks - Jon

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
827 Posts
Check to make sure that it is the correct dip stick part number. It could’ve been replaced with a different part number. ?? The dipsticks are very inexpensive. Bring your current one to the parts department to compare?

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,281 Posts
I wish my 2018 had a front differential dip stick like my 2010 did. On the 2010 there was so little friction holding the dipstick in place that I always worried about it popping out on a sharp bump.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i Tour.. 6spd MT
98 Posts
I wish my 2018 had a front differential dip stick like my 2010 did. On the 2010 there was so little friction holding the dipstick in place that I always worried about it popping out on a sharp bump.
You need a manual, dipstick equipped! Of course it's shared with the transmission so I guess it's not specifically a front diff dipstick. I'd also agree that it sits in place with very little friction.

·
Registered
2003 EJ20K Forester
326 Posts
You've likely done this already, but have you tried pushing it in at a few different orientations? I know with formed or flat dipsticks the metal doesn't want to bend one way and something can get caught. Just rotate 45 deg and try again (up to 8x)

·
Registered
2012 FXT
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone.

I found a friend's 2010 XT to compare the dipstick to and turns out the o-rings (both the original when I bought the car pre-owned and even the replacement I picked up) were too big. The OEM o-ring should be cylindrical and flat and not rounded like a donut shape. Got the dealer to order it this time and will verify once I get it in.

The dipstick with the proper o-ring fits fine in my friends XT (needs about 3 lbs of pressure to push in) whereas mine still needs about 10 lbs of pressure to push in.

Nevertheless I wonder if corrosion is an issue since some have mentioned are too loose and some (like mine) are too tight. For those too loose, maybe a larger o-ring might help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts