Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 Subaru forester and my front cigarette lighter isn't working but my rear one is. I have checked the fuse box and the fuse is good so any suggestions what to check now. Also another problem i am having now is my engine is hesitant to start. It seems like the power source is weak so I just replaced the battery and it is still doing the same thing. It does seem like an electrical problem because everything seems to be turning over and it seems like the battery is low but i just replaced it. I havent had it not start yet and its been going on for about a month now. It is pretty cold here now this time of year so I dont know if this is a common thing with a 1998 subaru forester this time of year. I have had my vehicle in the garage a couple times and its still is hesitant to start so i highly doubt it is the temperature. Any advice on these isssues would be greatly appreciated

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,798 Posts
If you verified the fuse is good, then I'd guess the overheat protection wire (like wire fuse) on the back of the cigarette lighter has blown. :frown:

As to the power problems on your Forester, I don't think they're related. :confused:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
1998 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks I'll have to try to get a look in behind the lighter and the other problem is separate I just wasn't sure if it was common for 98 forester to have problem starting in the cold or if it is just my vehicle that may have a loose wire or something i just dont know where else to look before i take it to a mechanic.

·
Casper reincarnated
2,245 Posts
Re Start problem.

Check the lead to the starter motor has a clean postive (+) connection and there is no "crud" built up under the lead - nut etc., same goes for the earth leads where it connects to the engine and the car body.

Removing and rubbing these connectors and where they are seated with a fine piece of sandpaper can have an amazing effect sometimes, one may even be a tad loose.

When you (I am guessing) changed the battery, did you also clean the inside of the battery terminals too?

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,801 Posts
The lighter problem is not a common one, but it did surface here just before Christmas in this thread. If you plan to use the socket simply for powering various stuff and not for a cigarette lighter, you can simply replace the thermal link with regular wire.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The lighter must be at the fuse behind the lighter or the overheat wire. I will have to try to take apart the centre consol and put in a piece of regular wire because it wont be used as a lighter just to power a dash light. So thanks for the advice everyone on the lighter. The start up issue must be at the starter it's self because i cleaned the terminals on the battery and the battery connector wires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts