Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
05 forester
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I know this is highly discussed topic and I've seen threads about this problem on here before but I wasn't able to find it after logging in. If someone could post the link to it that would be rad. Here is my issue and I bet you've heard this before:
'05 Subaru Forester 2.5X about 224K

Drove an hour out of my hometown to meet up with some friends and go to the beach. Drivers side front caliper locked up and it took me around 7 starts and stops to get it out of the intersection. Left my car in the parking lot all day and went hung out with my friends. Later that night, we hit the caliper with a hammer (mechanic recommendation) and it felt fine. Not sure if it released from that or just sitting there all day?:confused:

Took it to a local mechanic that I trust the next morning, left it there and told him I need the car back in two weeks and to take his time. I knew he was about a week out on repairs. Got a call a week later that they had replaced both front calipers, pads, and rotors $540 :woohoo:

I probably needed that so I was ok with it. I have not had to replace my breaks since I have owned the car and I've put about 80K on it since I have had it.
A week ago I am driving up a real hilly area and the break locked up again. Called the shop and he said to bring it in. Told him I was three hours away and asked for suggestions on what I should do. Took the tire off and used a screw driver to pry the caliper apart. Drove home that night, it seemed fine and I dropped it off with them in the morning. They said they replaced the caliper again. They were thinking it might be the ABS module.
I was pulling out of a 711 yesterday and it locked up again. Unluckily, but luckily I was down the street from the shop. Dropped it off yesterday but haven't heard from them.

That is the story... From what I have read into online is that it could be the hill holder. Maybe the break hoses are old? I am ruling out the ABS because no light has popped up and it is only that one break.
Any suggestions?
Cheers

·
Registered
2010 Forester
66 Posts
My guess is the bracket that holds the pads is rusted/too tight on the pads.
The caliper bolts to this bracket but is normally not replaced when new calipers are installed.
But if this is the problem, they should have noticed it when installing the pads.

·
Registered
05 forester
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got the car back from the mechanic Wednesday and they did what I was thinking of after reading into it on here. They removed the hill holder. Just yesterday I noticed a squeaking when I'm in reverse. Sounds like someone's going to pound town on a squeaky bed. There's a barely noticeable squeak going forward but only in gear. It seems to go away in neutral

·
Registered
'17 Impreza Hatchback CVT
835 Posts
I had to have the front calipers replaced on my '06 several times before I traded it in at 130K. Front right a total of 3x (starting around 90K), front left once. I figured terrible rebuilds but this thread makes me wonder if there was something else going on.

(I have read other threads here about hill-holder issues but not sure of years and models, but there is probably good information to find relevant to that problem.)

·
Registered
2015 Forester
249 Posts
turn off the traction control if you have not yet done so, see what happens then, assuming the new caliper is functioning then, it is something directly the caliper to push hard, traction control and abs ,may be one of those, both expensive to repair,

·
Registered
05 forester
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Forester doesn't have a traction control button. It seems to be working just fine with out the hill holder but only time will tell since I've only had it for a few days now. Could it be rear wheel bearings? It seems to be coming from the drivers side but I can't really tell if it is front or rear yet

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.