Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Forester 5MT DR
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have leaking oil seals where the front drive shafts enter the gearbox (both sides):

From what I have read, to replace the seals I have to remove the diff side retainers. These control diff preload & backlash & it seems that even if I put them back in exactly the same position, it may still be affected. I've been reading this is not an easy job to do right & I can imagine a mechanic will charge a hefty price for doing it.

Has anyone else done this? How difficult a job was it & did you have any probs later?

Why did the seals go? This is the same side only one month ago when I did the CV boots!

You can see on the far right the diff side retainer is bone dry!

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS auto
640 Posts
I have leaking oil seals where the front drive shafts enter the gearbox (both sides):

From what I have read, to replace the seals I have to remove the diff side retainers. These control diff preload & backlash & it seems that even if I put them back in exactly the same position, it may still be affected. I've been reading this is not an easy job to do right & I can imagine a mechanic will charge a hefty price for doing it.

Has anyone else done this? How difficult a job was it & did you have any probs later?

Why did the seals go? This is the same side only one month ago when I did the CV boots!

You can see on the far right the diff side retainer is bone dry!
Sorry to say, but looks like you damaged the seals with the spline of the drive shafts when re-installing.

As to removing the retainers, you have to count the exact number of turns on the retainer and return them to the same position to restore your preload. If you can get a drive shafts out, you can do the seals.

·
Registered
2001 Forester "S"
56 Posts
I did this a few years back on my 01 I want to pass along the seals are directional. They must be installed so the arrows printed on the seals point to forward rotation. Buy both a right and left side seal then do one side at a time matching the new to old exactly. Put plenty of grease on the inside of the seal and on the stub shaft then practice sliding the retainer with the old seal over the stub shaft a few times before you use the new one. The seals were about $10 each not real expensive but time consuming to replace.
So far my new seals have not leaked and the front diff is not making any funny noises. The last front diff fluid change had no metal in the fluid, I tossed a magnet into my new drain bowl ( cheap 3qt food storage container from walmart) for a week just to make sure.
Before you do anything see if you can locate the correct procedure for setting the preload, I will see if I can find the one I used buts it's unlikely since that was one hard drive and one computer ago. Untill you get it fixed keep the diff topped up with gear oil.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts