Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 X came with tan carpet and seats, which we found got dirty and stained real easy. Last summer I swapped in black seats from an 04 XT, and today I did the carpet.

One my kids drop a sippy cup of milk, which drained its contents into the tan carpet, and even after cleaning there was a horrible smell. I bought a gray carpet from and 04 XS so I dyed it black and used it in the X. I used 3 cans of duplicolor black carpet/vinyl spray.

Here is what the dirty, stinky tan carpet looked like:

Here is what it looks like with the carpet out:

before installing the black carpet I laid down some 3 in 1 underlayment. It is suppose to absorb sound and I figured it wouldn't hurt to try it out.

Then I installed the black carpet:

seats back in!

The whole project took about 3 hours and I NEVER want to do it again. I love the way it look and it should stay much cleaner looking like my XT does

·
Registered
2012 Ford Fiesta.... 5-mt!
418 Posts
Great job! Really like the color contrast..... Now all that's needed are some tan leather seat covers with black inserts or piping.

How did the carpet paint work? My car could use some "fresh" carpets.

·
Registered
2010 FORESTER 2.5XT LTD
97 Posts
Dude...

Just looking at your photos makes me completely exhausted. I need to take a nap now.

Looks great though!!!

D.

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
Looks great & I remember those seats...

joe r

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
does the dye smell at all? and how is the center console removed?
No smell at all since I dyed the carpet a couple months ago! The center console removes fairly easy. I'm sure scoobymods has a good write up on it.

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice work Chris. I said if we kept our 05 LGT with Taupe/black interior I was swapping out the carpet for black. Subaru is retarded for putting light color carpet in any car.
Thanks! The tan seats and carpet were a pain trying to keep clean. I'm thinking of cleaning the tan carpet and dyeing it black too. It is finally warm enough to do it outside so I don't have to wear a mask or anything.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,296 Posts
Oh god.. looks like a pain! Does the underlayment work? I need to do this soon.. I'm so tired of grey!

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
Looking good! But I would hate any out-gassing from painting a rug.

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not sure is freshly dyed smells or not. I dyed mine months ago and it has been in the garage all winter.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
Having the steering wheel, dash top and top of door trims black has made this work a treat and is so much more practical. Great idea and looks better than original.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 4EAT
2,000 Posts
Looking good and it really isn't that much work to gut the car guys. Well worth the effort.

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is a pretty basic swap. Much easier than most things I've done to the car. I haven't measured the DBs yets so I'm not sure if the 3-1 mat did anything or not.

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks! I ordered some black seat bolt covers because the tans ones bug me, but other than that my wife and I are very happy with the how it looks now.

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Update!

the "painted" black carpet has had 7 months of wear and tear, kid spills and all that and it has held up great. the black did not fade or wear off or anything. I'd say the duplicolor upholstry paint works great!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts