Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming up on my first oil change schedule on my 2010. When I bought the truck the dealer offered me (on paper) free oil changes as long as I bring it in for all the scheduled maintenance intervals.

Anyone have any experience with this and wondering if it is a good deal or should I stick with my trusted independent shop. Also at the point where doing the oil changes myself is no longer an option so I am going to be taking it in.

Read about oil changes going wrong at other places but also kinda hesitant about paying Dealer prices for regular services.

Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Those scheduled maintenance intervals will probably cost you a fortune IMO. I keep getting those, "it's time for your some odd mile minor maintenance," which is merely something like cleaning (and probably replacing for $$) the air filter, changing the oil, checking your brake pads, and topping off your fluid for some $60 that I could probably manage doing for less than half. Have them clarify what exactly are the scheduled maintenance intervals, because the dealer always seems to have more frequent ones than our manual.

·
Registered
2004 2.0 X
440 Posts
These fellas are scepticals- as soon as I read the title I thought that as well. :cool:

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,083 Posts
I'd have the clarify "scheduled maintenance intervals" and bring a copy of http://www.subaru.com/content/downloads/pdf/maintsched/2009SchedFed.pdf with you. This will show what is required by Subaru. I found at the dealer by me they wanted something like $150 for the 15K miles service but according the Subaru I needed about $40 worth (everything they stated they did in the normal oil change plus tire rotation), so I did ONLY that and I still keep to the Subaru requirements.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,909 Posts
Coming up on my first oil change schedule on my 2010. When I bought the truck the dealer offered me (on paper) free oil changes as long as I bring it in for all the scheduled maintenance intervals.
Anyone have any experience with this and wondering if it is a good deal or should I stick with my trusted independent shop....
It is a good deal for at least up to the 30K service.
My dealer gave me free changes for 2 years or 22,500 miles, and I take them.
The free changes at 7500-mile intervals were not frequent enough for me, as I only do about 8,000 miles a year, so I do intermediate 3,750-mile changes myself.
The car needs nothing in the way other service, except for tire rotations, until 30K miles.
When you get to the 30K service where there is a lot to be done, if you have any reason to distrust your dealer's quality or don't want to pay dealer rates, and don't value the continuing free oil changes, then take it to your trusted independent shop.
In my case, I distrust my dealer's quality after they ripped out and broke some styrofoam compartments doing a fuel tank valve recall, but I am tied to the dealer for the 30K service because my Subie Bucks will more than pay for it.

·
Registered
03X MT
847 Posts
so much of the early warranty checks are visual I would take care of the open the hood and look on my own. Unless you are a hard driver a quick look around is all you need.

DIY oil changes are around $20.00 so maybe about $80.00 per year. If you have the means at home then a pan, Fumoto Valve and 15 min will do an oil change. And you will know you got a quality job.

My .02

1 - 7 of 7 Posts