Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2010 Forester, and have gotten fairly used to it's quirks. The one that I can't figure out (Well, in addition to killing the engine in D when I should be in Park) is the auto lock on the rear tailgate. About 1/3 of the time I get out of the car, and before arming the alarm, I can open the rear tailgate by touching the electric switch that opens it. The other 2/3rds of the time it will not unlock.

It seems like it has some logic that decides to lock or not lock the rear tailgate switch but I cannot tell what the logic is--road speed? distance traveled? As my nephew says, perhaps I should RTFM, but figured the Forums less newbie Subie owners would know.

Also, as a reminder, if you bought your Subie in 2009 after mid February 2009, you can deduct the local sales tax from your 2009 tax return. First they pay me to buy the new car, and now they throw more money at me.

(The Seattle Times has a story about it but the site won't let me paste the link since I've only posted <15 times.)

There is fine print, but I think Subie owners would generally qualify.

Thanks - JayDee

·
Registered
2009 Forester
35 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it depends on if the rear hatch was unlocked or not before you started the car.

If you click the hatch button and the door unlock button before you enter the car the hatch will be unlocked before you arm the car.

If you entered the car using only the door unlock button on the remote, the hatch will be locked.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works on my '09.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nasarog:

As they say: "In your case, your mileage may vary." I'd be surprised if the tax credit extended to leases, but the whole thing doesn't make "cents" anyway. Good luck.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dino8031:

I will have to check that out -- It seems like an odd logic -- "If I wanted the tailgate open before I started the trip, I'd want it to be easily open when I end the trip." As opposed to: "I haven't set the alarm so I want to be able to open the tailgate now" The speed limit and mileage rationale seemed a bit arbitrary and didn't explain why it opened one time and not another.

·
Registered
42 Posts
What's the title of the article you mentioned so we can google it?

And perhaps it has something to do with the one-click: drivers door unlocked, two-clicks: passenger doors unlocked? I'm pretty click happy with car clickers so I haven't had that problem yet.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
444 Posts
Yeah, when you click your remote twice to unlock, it unlocks the trunk with the 3 passenger doors. Or if you hit the unlock button on the inside of the door, again, when the passenger doors unlock, so does the trunk.

Soooo, if you only click unlock on your remote once when you initially enter the car, and don't mess with the locks that whole trip, if you were to then hop out of the car, the trunk would be locked.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Search the Seattle Times for the article titled:

"Year-end tax tips for a complicated year" or "New car tax deduction" While the article was originally a Washington Post article, I don't know what the original title was. "Allen B. Crenshaw" wrote the article. In the Seattle Times the bit about the new car deduction is towards the bottom.

Thanks for the clue on the locks.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Touring
42 Posts
IRS Site

I'm not sure about the lock logic, but if you go to IRS site ("IRS.gov") and search for "New Car Purchase" you'll find a page that explains the tax break (you can deduct local sales and excise taxes from a new car purchase through the end of 2009). I was not able to post the link to this board.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts