Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester S AT
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about buying it cause its so cheap and it looks like its in good condition.

2004 XS with 179000 miles on it.. Auto, they only want $3,000 for it.

The miles worry me a bit though.. and the fact that it was driven most of its life in Maryland from what I can tell and now is in the south.. (a lot of salt in Annapolis Maryland???)

New rack & pinion, alternator, AC system.

Think I should pick this thing up tomorrow? Going to look at it. The interior from the pics looks mint.. like its never even seen dirt. :Banane08:

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
You can definitely take a look. If you can, take some ramps with you so you can get under it a bit better and poke around for some rust.

·
Registered
1998 Forester S AT
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sold and I never got to look at it.. Oh well it was a northern car with high miles and its black.. Ive had enough black cars. Hopefully I find something better.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
Sounds like a lemon. I have 203,000 miles on my 2004 XS, and it never needed any major work at all. It does drip a little oil now on my garage floor, and the Check Engine light is permanently on.
A lemon at 179,000 miles? lol. I've changed my rack once, engine once, transmission once, rear diff, wheel bearings, steering wheel, etc. and I just turned over 172,000 miles. Some people drive their cars harder, some live in harsher climates, but getting more than 150,000 miles with relatively minor fixes is admirable in my mind.

Plus, a $250 steering rack, $100 alternator and $200 A/C pump isn't "Major" work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts