• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2003 2.5 L--Manual
43 Posts
i am a noob, how does one get into this?

sure it is not much and there are many like it, but this one is mine.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
^hold that thought...

there will be an entry thread for the January FOTM starting up fairly soon. It'll be North America vs the World I believe, and a decent shot like that stands a pretty good chance. It's much more of a photo contest than a Forester contest itself though, unless we're getting more specific about things that particular month.
The first post outlines the upcoming themes for 2010's FOTM contests.

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5x SE
893 Posts
I'm up there and voted for ya. :Banane35:
Thanks Arthrogrian. I appreciate the Vote. :icon_biggrin:

i am a noob, how does one get into this?
Well you have to wait until the next Month's contest, which isn't that far away (January). The first post in this thread has the schedule for next years FOTM themes. There is a limit to how many people can enter each month, and it is filled first come first serve. Usually the contest fills up in about 1 week, so it isn't too hard to get in if you have photos ready to go. You also have to be able to host the Photos on a separate web site, which I see you have already with your Photo. That's about all there is to it... Good luck.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,110 Posts
I think unless there are mod lists posted with each picture, this will always be primarily a photo contest rather than a competition for the most awesome/unique/fastest/you-name-it Forester. Just my .02...

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5x SE
893 Posts
I think unless there are mod lists posted with each picture, this will always be primarily a photo contest rather than a competition for the most awesome/unique/fastest/you-name-it Forester. Just my .02...
Didn't we have a Mod themed FOTM already and a FOTM with track times posted? Maybe those who mod their cars a lot can have another separate FOTM contest without Photos; like each month who ever gets the fastest Time Trial that month. So each month there would be both a Photo FOTM AND some kind of TRACK FOTM.

Realistically, you aren't guaranteed to win a Photo Contest just because you have Expensive Mods. It is also true that you aren't guaranteed to win a Track Race because you have an Expensive Camera. They are mutually exclusive.

...it makes us with gorgeous foresters but no photo skills look inferior, very frustrating i know
I noticed that many FOTM entries are professionally photographed, which the Forester owner most likely paid for (or compensated the Photographer in some way). You certainly could do that, AND it would definitely be many many times cheaper than how much $$$ I have spent on Photo Gear. Not to mention 1000's of hours I (and others) have spent learning and practicing my photo skills. I know many would complain that they don't have the time or money to hire someone, but compared to the time and money I spend to get my Photos, I don't think that is a strong excuse

PLUS, if you hire a Photographer:
(1) You can be IN the Photo too. I probably have over 1000 photos of my Forester and I am not in ANY...
(2) You can have a really nice photo of your Forester to hang in your Office/Shop/etc.

·
Registered
MY07 XT
62 Posts
Woaahh, headache.
I just think there's a couple of different trains of thought. One being the pics that have been ' captured ' and ones that have been ' created '
I know that the guy who took my glowing rotor shot took another 50 shots of my car that night and they were blurry or what not and only had one money shot whereas your situation you've gone to great expense to get to that spot, climbed to a vantage point and shot away and ended up with a great pic.
On top of all of this is ones ability on the computer for photoshopping skills..
Anyway there's a heap of great pics and I don't think different catagories is going to make it any easier..

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,050 Posts
It is my understanding that this is a photo of the month contest. Let the best pic win.

If you hire a photographer then that is your decision. At the end of the day a great photo will arise above the crowd weather taken by a professional or not.

For me, it is very satisfying knowing that I (or my amazing wife) took the photo. I may spend a minute on the computer to crop or adjust contract but that is it.

Lets not taint the eventually winner buy debating whether or not it is worthy because it is a modded foz or taken by professional or whatever.

Let the best pic win. Apparently, this isn;t me. Still have 1 vote. :( Thanks again Richard.

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,205 Posts
Didn't we have a Mod themed FOTM already and a FOTM with track times posted? Maybe those who mod their cars a lot can have another separate FOTM contest without Photos; like each month who ever gets the fastest Time Trial that month. So each month there would be both a Photo FOTM AND some kind of TRACK FOTM.

Realistically, you aren't guaranteed to win a Photo Contest just because you have Expensive Mods. It is also true that you aren't guaranteed to win a Track Race because you have an Expensive Camera. They are mutually exclusive.

I noticed that many FOTM entries are professionally photographed, which the Forester owner most likely paid for (or compensated the Photographer in some way). You certainly could do that, AND it would definitely be many many times cheaper than how much $$$ I have spent on Photo Gear. Not to mention 1000's of hours I (and others) have spent learning and practicing my photo skills. I know many would complain that they don't have the time or money to hire someone, but compared to the time and money I spend to get my Photos, I don't think that is a strong excuse

PLUS, if you hire a Photographer:
(1) You can be IN the Photo too. I probably have over 1000 photos of my Forester and I am not in ANY...
(2) You can have a really nice photo of your Forester to hang in your Office/Shop/etc.
again i wasn't complaining at all, simply stating a fact. he asked a question and I answered it. and yes we did do a heavily modified FOTM.

if nothing else all this controversy and drama has brought people out to vote which is great

·
Registered
2009 Subie FXT
11 Posts
Spent a good part of my life growing up in BC. Apparently, there are parts of it I still need to see.

Great pic James. We will try and see more of BC this summer.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,110 Posts
I agree, an extensive mod list doesn't guarantee a FOTM win, but neither does a photo taken by a pro. I'm not sure why people get so worked up over this contest time and time again... in the end it's just a fun little showcase of pictures, a chance to show off your ride, and sometimes a popularity contest. There's nothing to win except bragging rights.

Do people really pay pro photogs to take pictures of their Foresters, for this? Heck, I'm a semi-pro photographer (as in, I'm paid for my images by shooting weddings, events, products, landcapes, real estate, track days... you name it). If someone wants to pay me to photograph their Foz, I'll gladly take the assignment. Automotive portfolio can be accessed from my profile. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
Do people really pay pro photogs to take pictures of their Foresters, for this?
I wondered this when I saw the watermarks on some of the photos.. the 'enhanced' question is bunk, these days if you took out all of the 'edited' photos it wouldn't be much of a photo contest.. unless we are looking at RAW files :icon_rolleyes:
maybe we need a HDR FOTM> :rock:

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
I totally agree. That's why I said what I said in my first post on this thread. I'll add to your .02 Silke........ my .02. Now were at .04. Anybody else got some spare change? :biggrin:

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Initially that was one of my biggest criticisms of this contest is that it isn't necessarily the "Forester of the month", but rather the "Best pics of a Forester of the month". HOwever, it's impossible to make it anything else. We have theme'd months (track, etc) but I got grief last year for having the heavily modded month and the stock month. Not necessarily in the threads, but through some pm's too.

I like what the "contest" has developed into, and whole-heartedly agree with Silke above.

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,050 Posts
I must say that the FOTM contest has let me enjoy a different aspect of photography. I had also taken landscapes or wildlife. Now I find myself looking for interesting places to park and take pics of my FXT. For that I thank the FOTM.

As for topping James' pic...I will have to try and find an even more remote place in BC.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.