Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Automatic
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow am I glad I found this forum! I am in the process of making major changes in my life and moving to Colorado Springs from Bossier City Louisiana. I taught at the USAF Academy there active duty 1978-1981. We loved it. I bought my first Subaru in 1979 there, a customized 1978 Brat with the tall camper shell fiberglassed to the body, painted Corvette burgundy top down, had a wing at the top rear of the camper shell the original owner put on it, and I left to avoid any leaks. :crazy: a sliding rear window and Chrome reverse wheels. It beat our military vehicle, a Jeep CJ7, in climbing the perimeter range road to be sure no one was in the impact area. Later in Germany we had a Subaru station Wagon in Germany in 1990-1997. Loved them both. So now we are in the middle of moving back to the Springs and getting in our new Subaru Forester I bought a week ago down here. It is everything I will ever need and enough options to look and drive great! I'll be looking for information on towing small utility trailers and how they do with that. I towed a Coleman pop-up camper all over the country with my brat and our two kids belted in the back. I bought the basic Forester with level 2 mods, essentially the roof rack and the alloy wheels.

About a month ago I bought a 2006 Subaru Baja turbo in excellent shape but 186k miles. The dealer had a new turbo, timing belt, valve cover seals and tires on it and it drives like a demon! It has the power sunroof etc, all the options. I never knew about the access hatch to the back. See I am selling all my stuff here including the house and land, and we are going from a Ram Diesel long bed, a Chevy HHR custom wrapped in hot rod flames, and a Hyundai 2015 Hyundai Elantra we traded in on the 2019 Subaru. Harvey Subaru gave us a great trade-in price and deal on the Forester. We will end up with the 2006 Baja with no northern rust underneath, as it has been a southern car in the SW and here all of its life. We may get another pop up to pull with the Soobys. Or not and get the new VW camper if it ever comes to the US.

We are a retired couple in our mid 60s and in great shape without the usual maladies at our age save a bit of a spare tire on me. I imagine I'll lose it at altitude. I lost 12 pounds just looking at houses before I bought one there. We're going from 5 acres and a full size tractor, zero turn 50", riding Craftsman lawn tractor/mower, box blades and bucket, along with three weedeater two push mowers one self propelled, to a subdivision, and getting one electric push mower with 60 or 80 volt batteries and a snowblower of the same make to use the same batteries. I prefer the exercise of a push mower.

My profile is not complete but then again it will be different there. No skiing in NW Louisiana!:surprise:

I look forward to getting to know you guys.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Automatic
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I can't edit posts here at all. I had an oldtimer's moment and forgot to list my latest Subaro before this new one. We also had and loved a 2004 Subaru Forester I drove for about four years. Never challenged it. Had the heater core rupture and that was a pain to get to. A friend did the replacement with me handing tools and buying the parts. So I have had three before this new Forester making it four to date. Love them.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
43,782 Posts
@Derek1952 as to forum permissions: :wink:
New members can "attach pictures (thumbnails)", but are required to meet the requirement below to post a for sale ad in the Member Classifieds, edit a post or to post links... to prevent spamming.

• Time as a member = 15 days, "New User" (displayed under the user name), changes to "Forum Member".
• Forum post count = 15.

Editing is not allowed in the "Member Mishaps" sub-forum.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2019 Forester Automatic
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Bobby. Since we are not in "Member Mishaps" I assume you mean that after 15 days I can edit my typos except in member mishaps? OK.

To clarify my vehicles. I have the 2006 Baha Turbo with sunroof etc. and it looks runs great!

What I forgot above is a few weeks ago I bought a brand new pearl white 2019 Forester. It's a trip getting used to it's lane keeping and slowing down behind cars in traffic "Eyesight" functions. I learned how to adjust them but am still learning. I just bought the basic Forester with the alloy wheels, roof rack, cargo rubber mats etc. I love that Eyesight is now on all Foresters.

The Baja requires premium fuel but is a replacement for my being used to having a pickup truck. I can hold a range or freezer so it will be perfect. Lousy mileage for a weak four banger. But it is anything but a weak 4 banger. I believe the previous owners must have done some upgrades. All I did was to have the timing belt/tensioner and head gaskets replaced.

We are now a 100% Subaru household.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.