Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
2008 STI 6 Speed
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got curious as to what brakes are on this new car and so we bought pads and rotors from the dealer.

Looks like we have some good and bad news.

The front brake pads and rotors are the same as the 2005+ Legacy GT (and newer Legacy 3.6R as well)

That's a pretty big heavy 21 pound rotor and a large pad.

Bad news - LGT owners don't like their brakes much. Soft. Better pads help but don't expect a Hawk HPS to do much.

The rear brake pads are from the LGT as well - the 2010+ one.

And the rear rotors are all new.

Nice vented rear - that's great.

So you can get better/different pads right away if you wanted. Rear rotors are going to be awhile though. Good chance we are looking at the new WRX brakes as well. FXT brakes = WRX brakes usually.

-Ken

Nice

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
what are the dimensions of the vented rear rotor- will it interchange with the standard one?

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Turbo 5MT
1,960 Posts
Unlikley DPM because the stock solid rotor is 10mm thick, the vented nearly twice that so the bigger 2 pot caliper is needed. I don't what year and model your car is Ken as you don't give that info but I would be surprised if Subaru tooled up for new rotors and calipers, few manufacturers do even over an extended period of production/revision, instead reserving such 'exotic' goodies for the very high end or sports models and even then, aquiring them from a recognized source such as Brembo. The solid OEM rear brake is 266mm on the older cars and the vented part is the same diameter IIRC. For the older models there are plenty of conversion brackets available to mount the bigger rear caliper, the front 294mm/4 pot WRX rotors and calipers were a retrofit (over the stock 277mm/2 pot). Be aware if shopping though that the WRX/Legacy/Forester rotors were all 5x100 stud spacing, the STI/FSTI and one or two other high performance models carried the 5x114 hub.

Although that is quite a lump Ken I've tried SS discs on my Foz (294mm/4 pot front, 266 solid rear) and they were not very effective compared with the stock steel rotors. We had aluminium discs on some motorcycles many years ago which at the time were horribly expensive and only found on the top end models but I think they were considered superior to the standard SS type (which were lethal in the wet). I've not seen them for street cars though and doubt they would be able to withstand the heat and stress of modern car performance, but who knows? It's worth noting that the high performance European cars and bikes mostly carry cast iron rotors (which are heavier again but work great in any weather) unless carbon87 fiber is an option.

The only other alternative that jumps to mind is CF if you want to save weight but you might need to mortgage the house to buy them. Bearing in mind how abrasive CF is, I suspect the pads are equally costly and worth taking into account for anyone who wishes to fit carbon pads in their standard calipers. A bit of research might be a good idea because although the pads may be super effective, if there is a substantial carbon content they may also abrade/trash the rotor rapidly.

·
Registered
2011 SH S-Edition 5EAT
202 Posts
Ken, what's the dimension of the front rotor??? 316x30mm??? If so then the USDM is lucky because the AUDM 2014+ FXT only gets the 294x24mm rotors (same as preceding two Foresters, same as BRZ/86/FR-S).

Rears (290x18 vented) are also found on the BRZ/86/FR-S. Pad size for the rears is the same as the SH Forester (08-13) and 08+ WRX.

Bassmaker: rear dimensions as above for the 05+ LGT/3.0/3.6 brakes. SF and SG got 266x10 solids with 170mm handbrake, but the SH got 286x10mm solid with 190mm handbrake. FSTi had 5x100 PCD, not 114.3.

dpm: you can fit the vented rotors where you have solids, BUT, you need the calipers also (a mate of mine has put the BRZ vented rears onto his SH Foz). A useless upgrade IMO; only difference will be slightly better heat dissipation of the vented rear rotors over the stock solids. A better spend of your money would be slotted rotors and good pads for the rear. Fronts; the 316x30mm LGT is a great one.

·
Registered
2014 Forester xt prem Cvt
161 Posts
Front pads look to be also what the r32 and r33 gts and gts-t skylines use. In other words, baseline. Popular upgrades on those skylines are z32 big brake upgrades.

·
Registered
2008 STI 6 Speed
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ken, what's the dimension of the front rotor??? 316x30mm??? If so then the USDM is lucky because the AUDM 2014+ FXT only gets the 294x24mm rotors (same as preceding two Foresters, same as BRZ/86/FR-S).

Rears (290x18 vented) are also found on the BRZ/86/FR-S. Pad size for the rears is the same as the SH Forester (08-13) and 08+ WRX.

Bassmaker: rear dimensions as above for the 05+ LGT/3.0/3.6 brakes. SF and SG got 266x10 solids with 170mm handbrake, but the SH got 286x10mm solid with 190mm handbrake. FSTi had 5x100 PCD, not 114.3.

dpm: you can fit the vented rotors where you have solids, BUT, you need the calipers also (a mate of mine has put the BRZ vented rears onto his SH Foz). A useless upgrade IMO; only difference will be slightly better heat dissipation of the vented rear rotors over the stock solids. A better spend of your money would be slotted rotors and good pads for the rear. Fronts; the 316x30mm LGT is a great one.
It's the LGT size you said - 316 x 30

Weird we got bigger brakes than you! Usually the other way around.

:icon_razz:

:Banane36:

I agree w/ ya on changing the rears. Essentially pointless unless you are tracking the thing - which might also be considered pointless.

Good pads - or a fixed caliper type upgrade - not pointless.

like this?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/kns-z32-brake-conversion-212448.html?p=4632002#post4632002

-Ken

·
Registered
2011 SH S-Edition 5EAT
202 Posts
It's the LGT size you said - 316 x 30

Weird we got bigger brakes than you! Usually the other way around.

:icon_razz:

:Banane36:

I agree w/ ya on changing the rears. Essentially pointless unless you are tracking the thing - which might also be considered pointless.

Good pads - or a fixed caliper type upgrade - not pointless.

like this?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/kns-z32-brake-conversion-212448.html?p=4632002#post4632002

-Ken
I could be wrong, but as far as I can tell, 'new' FXT has 'old' 294x24 fronts :icon_frown:

If you are tracking, there's brembo or nothing else :rock: but that's only cause what I have...

That's a great upgrade to fixed caliper type! There's a guy in Australia who's made an adaptor for the subaru brake caliper points to fit an R33 GTS-T solid caliper (Sumitomo):

Fits over the 316x30 rotors...brembo stickers are for show :icon_cool: Very cool looking!

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
478 Posts
I was just reading on the Legacy GT forums that the 2010 Legacy GT (to current) will accept the STI 2008+ brakes front and rear. I know what you are thinking... the wheel bolt pattern isn't the same... DBA and Stop Tech rotors for the 2008+ STI have both 5X114 and 5X100 bolt patterns on them. I think this might be a more affordable way to go on a big brake kit. The AP Racing kit has both bolt patterns too. I do think in the forum the guy ended up going with AP racing in the front because the STI caliper in the front needs more wheel clearance or a spacer. So who is going to upgrade to a big brake kit first on thier 2014 FXT???

·
Registered
2011 SH S-Edition 5EAT
202 Posts
I was just reading on the Legacy GT forums that the 2010 Legacy GT (to current) will accept the STI 2008+ brakes front and rear. I know what you are thinking... the wheel bolt pattern isn't the same... DBA and Stop Tech rotors for the 2008+ STI have both 5X114 and 5X100 bolt patterns on them. I think this might be a more affordable way to go on a big brake kit. The AP Racing kit has both bolt patterns too. I do think in the forum the guy ended up going with AP racing in the front because the STI caliper in the front needs more wheel clearance or a spacer. So who is going to upgrade to a big brake kit first on thier 2014 FXT???
Yeah SH and SJ Foz have the same caliper bolt spacing as 2008+ STi brembo calipers. And they have the 190 mm handbrake.
2010 Legacy got the same bolt spacing and handbrake size.

AP racing are definitely a tad smaller than brembos up front, but they're still pretty big...

And yes dba do the dual PCD on their rotors for Subarus :icon_biggrin::

·
Registered
2011 SH S-Edition 5EAT
202 Posts
Just confirmed the Australian 2014 XT has 316 x 30mm rotors up front.
Wish they'd given them to the SH!!!

Get some 290x18 vented on the rear from an 08+ LGT and it'll be a very sweet package with some decent rotors and pads :rock:

·
Registered
2011 SH S-Edition 5EAT
202 Posts
i thought GDB sti brembo will fit on SJG. =..=
SJ? or SG?

For front calipers, there is no difference between years other that pre-08 being gold with "brembo" stencilled on them and 08+ being black with "STi" stencilled on them (not including Spec-C calipers which are a different gold altogether with "STi" on them). AFAIK, they all bolt directly to the hub mounting points on the Forester with no issues.

For rears, the 08+ will bolt straight onto the SH and SJ; but AFAIK, no STi calipers will bolts onto the SG (or SF) without adaptor brackets, I believe the mounting bolt holes are different.

·
Registered
2010 Legacy GT LTD 6 spd
967 Posts
I will add, since I didn't see it mentioned, the 2010+ Legacy has the electric parking brake which has a 9inch drum for the electric brake, all others have an 8in ebrake drum. So the regular and GT Legacy rear brake drums are not compatible with other models.

Just something else to confirm if you are looking into rear rotors.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
478 Posts
According to motortrend April 2014 issue, the 2015 WRX has 12.4" front (316mm) rotors and 11.3" rear rotors. I am wondering if they didn't measure the rear rotor correctly? Wouldn't it be 290mm for the rear?

I guess I am trying to figure out if the 2015 WRX has the same brake set up as the US 2014 FXT?

·
Registered
2015 SQ5 ZF8
148 Posts
It has already been confirmed that the 2015 WRX uses the 5x114.3 hubs. Based on this it means the bolt pattern for the rotor is different and it most likely will use the 190mm parking brake drum.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
430 Posts
What pads do you guys use to help with the lack of stopping power? Would like to have a little harder braking power.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts