Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2010 X Limited
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought our second 2010 2.5X limited this weekend. We did notice it's getting hard to find the limited in the color you want here in Oklahoma.

We went through three colors only to find dealer trades with 165 - 500 miles on them. We had to take our 4th choice to get a limited with less than 50 miles on it, which was important to us. I dislike buying a new car the salesmen and customers have all been enjoying.

I think the secrets out!

·
Registered
121 Posts
We just bought our second 2010 2.5X limited this weekend. We did notice it's getting hard to find the limited in the color you want here in Oklahoma.

We went through three colors only to find dealer trades with 165 - 500 miles on them. We had to take our 4th choice to get a limited with less than 50 miles on it, which was important to us. I dislike buying a new car the salesmen and customers have all been enjoying.

I think the secrets out!
Maybe the bad north hemisphere weather has had an effect??

·
Registered
2010 X Limited
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's probably why. You seldom see a Forester around here, and I saw three in one day last week.

·
Registered
2000 Forester
263 Posts
There are a ton of 2010 Foresters up here in Fargo/Moorhead. What's the big deal with >500 miles on a new car, I'd say that would be a good arguing point on price, and how is 50 miles any better?

·
Registered
2010 X Limited
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yes. All I really wanted for 26K was to look at it's newness. Actually, for that price, I expect a car roll off the truck, go to service, and maybe a test drive or two. So, if a new car has more than, say 30 miles, I won't buy it. Two we wanted were passed up, because one had 500 hundred miles and one had 165.

Say someone really drove the living crap outa those two cars in those miles. It probablty wouldn't matter much, in terms of damage, over the life of the car.

But, in actuallity, they'd be driving the living crap outa somebody else's car, not mine, because I would not buy a new car with 165 miles on it.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
444 Posts
As a salesman, i find it rather insulting that you think we're "enjoying" the cars as we rack up tons of miles. I'm not quite sure what you envision us doing with the cars?

Most of the miles on the cars you're seeing are from dealer trades, which at least around my parts consist of retired old men driving the cars at like 60 mph from one dealer to another.

Typically if a car has 200 miles on it, only 20 or so are of actual test driving by customers, and i have never seen anyone beat the crap out of a car on a test drive. Most of my dealer trade cars have 150 miles on them at most, usually like 70, so i dunno why you're seeing cars with 500 miles. But even if you are, it is what it is, and they're still a new car, don't see what the fuss is for. Maybe it's because i know what goes on in those few hundred miles, whereas you don't and are conjuring up these ideas of salespeople and customers taching out the engine and slamming it into drive and doing powerslides in gravel parking lots and whatnot.

I can't really talk about the reason behind the shortage, but yeah there were some allocation issues coinciding with an increase in demand, but a few big batches of fresh Foresters showed up recently, so i suspect they'll be showing up elsewhere soon too.

·
Registered
2010 X Limited
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"don't see what the fuss is for.."

There's really no fuss. My purchase was over some time ago. My point was that there weren't many limiteds to choose from, and some I wanted had mileage on them.

The salesman wasn't too happy with the 500 miles either - that peaceful retired dude made a 300 mile detour on a 165 mile dealer trade.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
444 Posts
lol what? Did he get lost or something? Unless your Subaru dealers are really far apart or something else i don't understand.

·
Registered
2010 X Limited
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Apparentlty he took a side trip to see mama or something. Anyway, the dealer said it was excessive and he'd have to take some off that car.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
31 Posts
I never understood why dealerships let people test drive any car on the lot. They should keep all the "lot" cars new and have a fleet of demo cars at every trim level. I am like the OP, if I'm paying new car prices I expect no more than a few miles on it, if it's been used as a test vehicle then it's just that, used.

·
Registered
2010 X Limited
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks rearview!

I'm glad there are others that feel that wat too. That's what I'm used to - drive a "demo"; not the actual car you want. Unless you shake hands on it, and need a final spin to make sure it's OK.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks rearview!

I'm glad there are others that feel that wat too. That's what I'm used to - drive a "demo"; not the actual car you want. Unless you shake hands on it, and need a final spin to make sure it's OK.
That's certainly the case in Singapore and Australia... a "demo" is a registered vehicle that has been used by customers and dealers... (and if you buy one you expect a discount), a "new" car is a car you pay to have registered and you are usually the first to drive it off the lot. In Singapore and Oz there is no such thing (or not much of) driving new cars between dealers - they are trucked from place to place.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
I see your point and I do agree, if the car has more than 100 miles on it and it's claimed to be new, I want the price to go down. My car had 57 miles on it, but it was understood they had to locate the car for me. The car before the forester had only 17 miles on it because it was on the lot. So why would I want to buy a car that is priced as new that been used in a test drives or by the staff at the delarship? And I know why for you as a sales person it dose not matter, because it's not your money that are coming out of the pocket. If I am buying new car that's exactly what I want a new car!!!. If delearship used it, or his costumers is not new any more, it's a demo and demo usually in my area are priced lower by minimum 2k to 6k. So don't excpect me to pay new price sticker for your used car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts