Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We came back from the Ring yesterday where I met with Pete.

I had a good time although I only managed to do 4 laps this time as the track was closed for most of the afternoon on Saturday due to an accident (5-6 cars collided after a M5 lost its oil on track) and raining most of the time on Sunday.

It was the first time I had so much fun with this car and I like the way it handled (progressive and friendly at the limit).
When the track was greasy and wet you realy had to take it easy as you would understeer very easily; it was more fun when it oversteered once and easy to control if you stayed on the throttle.

I also met with an old friend who now organises Ring trips and took me out in his EVO and I s*at myself, while he was being very relaxed.
It takes some practise (and money) to do late 8's, my best was 10:45 or so (I managed late 9's 2 years ago with the WRX but that was after 10 laps and following a friend who knew the track well.

I can't wait to go again :)

Here's a few pics from the weekend

Attachments

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
Take it your brakes were ok then lol

Never done it in the car but for 4 years on the trot on bikes, but that was when it was cheap (a lot cheaper)

I was working it out and Im probably into 200 plus laps and that dangerous area of thinking you know where your going

A couple of moments spring to mind one was mixing it with the tyre testers who would be side ways into corners one hand on the wheel and waving at me

and coming up behind a coach at around 140 mph, back window of the coach filled with people taking photos, of my wide eyed surprise and mouthing the words "what the ****"

if you ever get the chance to go, go

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Take it your brakes were ok then lol

Never done it in the car but for 4 years on the trot on bikes, but that was when it was cheap (a lot cheaper)

I was working it out and Im probably into 200 plus laps and that dangerous area of thinking you know where your going

A couple of moments spring to mind one was mixing it with the tyre testers who would be side ways into corners one hand on the wheel and waving at me

and coming up behind a coach at around 140 mph, back window of the coach filled with people taking photos, of my wide eyed surprise and mouthing the words "what the ****"

if you ever get the chance to go, go
Lol, no more squeek on motorways now as I had before , I guess they bedded in well :)

You must be very brave to have done 200 laps on a bike, there are some crazy ones out there, a guy overtook me and scraping the knee with sparks coming out from his knee cap!

Quite a few women bikers too and some people taking passengers on bikes, that must be VERY scary!

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
titanium screws in the sliders

all show mostly, the fast people are just smoooooth

that female german tester whose name I cant remember, came past me on a 250 and with in 4 corners had left me for dead, i was on a 600

knowledge is power, or in the case of the Ring CC is power cos I went back with 1100, the only place wher I have seen max revs rise and fall purely because of the lean angle reducing the diameter of the wheel, (if that makes sense)

this was late 80s

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
I'd love to go, we have nothign like this in Canada. Most tracks I can blip up to 120mph for a few seconds before the straights end. What is the cost to run each lap ?

What are you guys running for pads ? Is brake fade an issue ? From all the videos I've watched the corners are relatively quick so I wouldn't think its too much of an issue with decent pads.

Any in-car video with the Foresters ?

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Legacy, the track is not too hard on the brakes, as you say it is quite open.
With Pagid RS 4-2-1 at the front, standard rears, braided hoses and DOT 5.1 fluid I had no fade.
Each lap costs 22€ , the more you buy the more the discount. You have PM.

Duderotomy, thanks for the link.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We should organise another trip, is anyone else interested? I can't wait to go again.
Here's a couple of Pete I have found, I'm sure he will update with some more when he sees this :)

Attachments

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
...and of course you realise that you would have gone sooooooo much faster if you had "spats" like Pete :biggrin: At least twice as fast I think.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
We should organise another trip, is anyone else interested? I can't wait to go again.
I'd be interested, funds and wife permitting! :biggrin:

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...and of course you realise that you would have gone sooooooo much faster if you had "spats" like Pete :biggrin: At least twice as fast I think.
Ahh, that explains why my best time was around 10:40 or so.
It must be because they are more aerodynamic :raspberry:

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
As insignificant as these things look, they do work. I just installed my carbon fibre replica of the STI lip on my 07 and while I was skeptical it would do anything , I swear the front end feels more planted on the highway.

I'm going to hit the track this weekend and I'll know for sure.

Anyone know what it costs to rent a track car at the ring ? If I ever make it out there I won't have my XT with me. Something "reasonable" like a 3 series BM'r or Elise. Would love but wouldn't want to be learning how to drive a GT3 rental on the track.

Fpan, 22€ isn't bad at all. If I broke down my last track day it worked out to about $10 @ lap and comparing to your times , I was running about 2:38 @ lap so value per lap at the ring is good IMO. We have Pagid pads over here, a couple of guys run them and like them. I use Porterfield R4 race pads up front and R4-S street pads in the rear with Dot 4 fluid, OEM calipers/lines.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
As insignificant as these things look, they do work. I just installed my carbon fibre replica of the STI lip on my 07 and while I was skeptical it would do anything , I swear the front end feels more planted on the highway.

I'm going to hit the track this weekend and I'll know for sure.

Anyone know what it costs to rent a track car at the ring ? If I ever make it out there I won't have my XT with me. Something "reasonable" like a 3 series BM'r or Elise. Would love but wouldn't want to be learning how to drive a GT3 rental on the track.

Fpan, 22€ isn't bad at all. If I broke down my last track day it worked out to about $10 @ lap and comparing to your times , I was running about 2:38 @ lap so value per lap at the ring is good IMO. We have Pagid pads over here, a couple of guys run them and like them. I use Porterfield R4 race pads up front and R4-S street pads in the rear with Dot 4 fluid, OEM calipers/lines.
The front lip could very well do but NDS means the side spats.

Check out these companies:
The Nurburgring Experience - Join us, Full organised tour Nordschleife (this is my friend's company who took me out with the Evo/previously had a M3) or
Home of 'ring rentals and instruction (they told me the Suzuki Swift and the VW Corrado are the most fun)

I am thinking of getting some tuition next time which is the best "modification" one can do IMHO.

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
Did you meet up or go over with the SouthEast Scoobies chaps by the way...forgot to ask...?

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you meet up or go over with the SouthEast Scoobies chaps by the way...forgot to ask...?
We met there. I was thinking there must be a scooby club as there were plenty of Imprezas but the Forester attracted some attention which was nice :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 92 Posts