Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2003 2.0 Forester X
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking the wife to her 50th birthday party today in deepest darkest South Wales and I encountered a very steep hill covered in ice started to climb the hill with no problems then I notice a woman in a VW Polo coming down the hill with her hazards on and flashing her lights at me.

I realise she is skidding down the hill, no problem plenty of time I stop put the car in reverse and drive back down the hill. She stops at the bottom and thanks me for getting out of the way as she had no control.

Get halfway up the hill a van appears going to way fast for the conditions Starts to skid I have nowhere to go and he sideswipes me. I drive up the hill turnaround drive back down the hill he appologises we exchange details I turn around drive back up the hill to the restaurant.

This incident proves that Foresters are crap in snow and ice as they can't protect you from [email protected] driving other vehicles.

Ruined my day really but at least no one was hurt.

·
Registered
1997 Forester S/TB Automatic
90 Posts
Oh thats terrible - glad you are both okay.

I was supposed to be in Monmouth at 7am tomorrow morning but decided against driving all that way from Durham in a FWD VW Caddy.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester Cross Sport AUTO
4,443 Posts
Are you really saying W**Kers in the snow (other motors).?

I have been through the Wilds of Scotland, Wales, Lake District, Lancs, Yorks ( in fact last year, I was the only motor getting over Saddleworth Moor in February )

I found them to be briiliant in the snow.

However, you can't provide for other road users.#

Regrds

AM

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,158 Posts
This incident proves that Foresters are crap in snow and ice as they can't protect you from [email protected] driving other vehicles.

Ah I have spotted your problem - you went for the 2.0X as opposed to the 2.0 XTPL.

The XTPL not only has the obvious benefit over yours of a turbo, but also has dual plasma rifles located behind the front foglamps that can vaporise any vehicle that get's too clos to your Forester. I had them retrofitted as they are not standard on the FSTI (for weight saving reasons), and they have proved most useful for removing out-of-control, sliding obstacles impeding my forward progress during these testing driving conditions.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,949 Posts
So let me get this straight... You were able to successfully BACK down this hill and stay in control, plus make it up the hill numerous times and when someone comes down the hill sliding and hits you, your Forester is the cause? I've never in my life heard someone blame THEIR car for someone else being at fault for hitting them...

He's insured and your car will be fixed without you spending one cent. Be happy.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester Cross Sport AUTO
4,443 Posts
Thank F++k for your replies, I tghought it was me>>>:biggrin::biggrin:

Regards

AM

·
Registered
2003 2.0 Forester X
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was being ironic (it's a Brit thing) i.e. my car was faultless in the conditions however you cannot take into account the actions of others

So let me get this straight... You were able to successfully BACK down this hill and stay in control, plus make it up the hill numerous times and when someone comes down the hill sliding and hits you, your Forester is the cause? I've never in my life heard someone blame THEIR car for someone else being at fault for hitting them...

He's insured and your car will be fixed without you spending one cent. Be happy.

·
Registered
2003 2.0 Forester X
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was being ironic (it's a Brit thing) i.e. my car was faultless in the conditions however you cannot take into account the actions of others

By the way, my mom's Foz is AMAZING in the snow (2+ feet) as I'm sure many other's have noticed as well ;)

Also, prepare for your Foz to start sucking because I'm sure you hurt its feelings :yell:

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
Now we should all know by now that the vast majority of the population from across the pond just don't do irony !

Shame on you Bampy for leading them on like that....:wink: (nice one though !!!).

Brian

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,389 Posts
I hark back to a similair situation a few years ago. Near my house there is a long, steep hill (its about 3/4 mile long) and I was driving up there in heavy snow when coming the other way, was a 5 series, skidding wheels locked solid, driver sawing at the wheel, frantically trying to get grip. but alas all he was doing was polishing the road. He missed me, missed the car behind but did a nice 90 degree slide and hit the lorry behind.

End result. BMW written off, lorry scratched bumper!

You just cant forecast the actions of others no matter what the weather is, however in the snow most people are crap drivers!

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
Your a Yankee, but snoshado is a southern reb' I guess?

I got the sarcasm straight off....I had a very similar one a few years back in my Xr4x4, only difference is I managed to just avoid the [email protected] coming the other way by driving up the grass bank while watching him in my mirror disapear into the ditch!

Simon

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
98 Posts
haha i followed your meaning no prob..

we just had two feet of snow fall in my area which is far more than most around here know how to handle.
It was actually scary watching these other people try to drive in the snow.
I just wanted to yell DONT HIT THE BRAKES or KEEP YOUR SPEED UP THIS HILL OR I SWEAR TO GOD WE"LL HAVE PrOBLEMS. WHY ARE YOU PLAYING WITH YOUR THROTTLE ON THIS ICE TRYIN TO STAY AT 10 MILES AN HOUR.
i'll coast on by keepin a steady pace 3 times yours with 3 times more control thanks

ps i wish i had an accent like yours

1 - 20 of 50 Posts