Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using the PL/L14612 for years now and my 2002 Maxima took the PL/L14610. I have run out of the filters for my Subaru and I sold the Maxima about a year ago. You know where this is going. I have 3 filters left for my Maxima. Could I use the PL/L14610 on the Subaru Forester? Any issues with fitment?

As I understand it, the filters are the same thread size however the 10 is longer than the 12.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT 5 speed
1,042 Posts
If the filter is longer, make sure to check clearance. You definitely don't want your oil filter to be the lowest thing on your car.

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
I've been using the PL/L14612 for years now and my 2002 Maxima took the PL/L14610. I have run out of the filters for my Subaru and I sold the Maxima about a year ago. You know where this is going. I have 3 filters left for my Maxima. Could I use the PL/L14610 on the Subaru Forester? Any issues with fitment?

As I understand it, the filters are the same thread size however the 10 is longer than the 12.
Another user observed that you don't want your filter to be the lowest part on the vehicle. Even if that is not a problem, the pressure relief valve in the Maxima filter may be set differently. For whatever reasons, the aftermarket folks seemed to be challenged on this - even on filters intended for use on Subaru.

You have an expensive car which is oil (and oil flow) sensitive. OEM filters are simply not that expensive.

·
Registered
2001 Forester "S"
56 Posts
I also use the WIX 7712 or NAPA 57712. They both fit and function. Further investigation leads to 2 things about the OEM filter. First is the bypass of 23 PSI and second is the flow at 12 GPM. Our oil pump is a high flow, high pressure type and so far the OEM is the only one that meets both requirements and fits the small space on an XT. The WIX filters flow at about 9 GPM. My research has been on Bob is the oil guy, Forester.org (here), NASIOC and manufactures web sites. Once my stash of 7712's are gone am going to go with OEM on both my XT the 2001 NA "S". Another interesting filter is from Denso # 150-1011 for the turbo engines and 150-1006 for NA, non turbo. I have no idea why Denso offers 2 filters but I would bet the 150-1011 is smaller than the NA one. FRAM also makes a subie specific filter number PH9715, maybe it's an OEM in a different color can? I have never found one to look at.
How important flow and bypass are is not really not know since both type engines have run many 1000's of miles without issue using many kinds of oil filters regardless of brand the most important thing is to change the oil. That being said I want to help my turbo all I can so its OEM for flow and pressure, no others seem to do the job better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts