Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am currently doing some shopping, comparing, etc and trying to decide between a 2010 Forester XT Limited or a 2010 WRX Premium Pkg 5-door. In either case I will be getting it with Navi. I have driven both vehicles fairly recently but will be driving them again soon...OKC got slammed with this winter storm over the holidays and we're expected to get more snow tomorrow night and Wednesday so I may not get to do my 2nd test drive for a bit!!

I did have a few questions for you '09-'10 Forester owners that may have the factory navigation. Is there a decent iPod interface that will work with the factory navi?? It is not an option on Subaru's website and I looked around on this site and found a few threads regarding the factory iPod interface which I guess you can just order through the dealer, but read mostly negative info about that interface. Any idea if there is something non-factory that will work if you have navigation? I know the WRX has the option of iPod interface on Subaru's website even with navigation, but is that the same one some of you have bought for your Foresters? I definitely want iPod interface as I listen to music all the time and am always listening to my iPod (I seem to scratch any cd I buy/burn within a day). I will be getting the navigation option regardless as well though. Oh, also, my iPod is probably 3 years old or so...it is an iPod video. I got it probably about 3 years ago when they first came out if that makes any difference? Thank you very much for your help and any recommendations or info on my comparison shopping between the Forester and WRX would be appreciated as well. The biggest hurdle seems to be that I will have to order the WRX and wait 2-3 months for delivery vs. probably being able to find the Forester XT Limited I want without having to order it...thanks!

Grant

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm quite aware they are totally different cars...I bought a 2002 WRX the year they came out and loved that car. The Forester XT appeals to me though because it still retains some sporty, fun to drive aspects, but also has a little more utility then the WRX, has more ground clearance, and I can get leather seating which is nice. It's also priced incredibly well compared to anything comparable. The main appeal the WRX has for me is the amazing performance and very fun to drive...I just worry that it comes off a bit too "teenager" for me...not sold on either car just yet though, but it will be one or the other! If the Legacy wasn't priced a little too high and in it's 2nd or 3rd year of production it would be in the running too.

I'm mainly curious about iPod interface with the factory navigation regardless of which vehicle I get though if anyone can be of any help I'd really appreciate it!!

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
I almost balked on my MY09XT because it did not have the factory NAV system and I am glad I do not have it. After being here for a year+, and seeing the responses/threads about the factory NAV, I think you will be better served if you save the $$$ and put in an aftermarket HU/NAV. For $1500 you can get much more including speakers. You will get better performance and will be able to use your ipod better. There are many threads here on the board if you use the search feature. Include the " " quote symbols around your topic to narrow down any search. Regarding your decision about the FOZ or WRX, you can, for just a bit more $$ do some mods that will dramatically improve the FOZ if you want a bit more sportier feel. First and foremost change the sway bars (handling) then you can do a DP and exhaust which will improve power/performance. Now you have a SUV with lungs that will give most vehicles a run for the money and you will avoid the mid life crisis look.......if that's what you are trying to do. +++ now you can haul things when needed.

Some of the gang here that have heavily modded their Fozzies have rides that will kick most WRX's butts........all day long. :biggrin:

Almost forgot............Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
2017 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,463 Posts
Dood, dooooooooooood!!!

Perfect time for test drives... keep your speed low and that should help show you the difference between the two cars.

Oh yea, don't waste money on the Subaru stereo.. it's crap. You'd get more for your money if you get a professional shop or yourself to replace the nav with aftermarket stuff. it will cost the same in the end, but the difference will be out of this world.

That's how I decided on mine. Goodluck and drive safe.

·
Registered
177 Posts
This might help with the iPod and navigation system problem:

"Optional Navigation System- Option Package #10 (list price $1800)
New includes Bluetooth phone (mic is overhead console)
7" Kenwood touch screen GPS Navigation system, 140watt, AM/FM single CD with Audyssey MultEQ audio enhancement, audio/video inputs. Note: optional iPod interface not available with Navigation. Navigation does not include Hawaii, Alaska"

From 2010 Subaru Forester- specs, images, details, prices

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
If you need space get the FXT. If you don't get the WRX.
^spot on,
am I the only one who sees humor in the fact that the OP doesn't want to appear too 'teenager' yet the main consideration is the ipod interface? :biggrin:

get out there and test drive in the snow already! so much fun you won't remember if you had your music on or not..

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is an aftermarket solution for the IPod. Look at the pac-audio web site.

I'm using this setup in a different vehicle and I like it.

If you start adding up the price of the nav and this ipod solution, you may want to look aftermarket for a better nav with ipod integrated.

Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts