Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to give up my 2001 Forester S for something faster. I test drove a bunch of cars and narrowed the last two to a Subie and Toyota. Compared to my MY01, both vehicles are huge improvements in terms of performance. Both dealerships are offering similar prices for both vehicles but surprisingly, Subaru is asking slightly more. Thought it would be the other way around.

My dilemma is that I'm jumping back and forth between both vehicles. On one hand, the RAV4's underlying technologies in the vehicle are a lot newer and there's a bunch of features that aren't available on the Forester or the feature is better on the Toyota. On the other hand, I love the throw-you-back kind of performance you get out of the FXT, insanely large moonroof and the more car-like profile. Not to mention I prefer Subaru's AWD system over Toyota's.

Anyone able to offer some insight? Its driving me insane!

·
Registered
AU MY06 XS Luxury Auto
688 Posts
If you're prepare to walk away from this forum, then go with the RAV4!

I though a lot of the current RAV4's internals were carried over, but it's certainly a pretty big car now.

Honestly, if you are hesitating for a RAV4 over an XT...

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
broadbean said:
Honestly, if you are hesitating for a RAV4 over an XT...
But Australia doesnt get the V6 Rav4, just the 4 cylinder model, so I think its a bit different comparison in the US.

·
German tech
MY16 Audi S3 Sedan DSG 6 speed
3,563 Posts
Most of the pro reviews say there is little between the V6 RAV and the XT.

The RAV wins because of more room and refinement and standard features

The XT wins because of better AWD system and better resale

In terms of handling, it was wash in most reviews. Netiher are much too look at.

If the V6 was here in Aussie, I'd be taking a close look for sure

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,969 Posts
Both are excellent choices to be sure.......the only thing I will say is Toyota has had huge problems of late with a ton of recalls......mainly with their 'all new' redesigned models......I personally am not a fan of buying a vehicle in it's first year of production so you might want to consider that factor as well......just a suggestion. Keep us posted on your decision. :icon_cool:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I like the aftermarketability of the FXT. Idk how much will be available for a RAV.

Also, Subarus have a REAL AWD system, unlike most "SUVs" in this segment.

Then again, it all comes down to your priorities. It depends on what you look for in a car. If you want the space and "commanding" view of a taller vehicle, go for the RAV. If you want a smaller vehicle w/much more aftermarket support, go w/the FXT.

The fact that I am on a Subaru Forester forum tells you a bit about my preference. ;)

·
Premium Member
2004 FXT '05 6mt r180 Carbonetics 1.5w lsd
1,094 Posts
If you want a performance car that has the potential to be modded to make 400+whp, but forced to drive a wagon because you have a family of four that needs a ride w/ reasonable cargo space, the Forester XT may be your car.

·
German tech
3,563 Posts
frogmonk said:
If you want a performance car that has the potential to be modded to make 400+whp, but forced to drive a wagon because you have a family of four that needs a ride w/ reasonable cargo space, the Forester XT may be your car.
The V6 in the RAV4 can be modded as well.

I think it would be a hard choice if the AWD was not so much an issue.

The RAV4 has more room, drives as well, is more refined.

As someone else said, it is also the pedigree of the Forrie that is a win but it's close.

If it was the 4 cylinder (which is all we get here) the Forrie wins easily.

The RAV4 seems a little bloated from my perspective and it is uglier than the Forrie.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I think id go with the RAV4 over the XT BUT ONLY becuase it sits up a bit higher other than that IMO its a wash also..Im sure it will(RAV4) be aftermarket supported as most of the Hondas,Toyotas,Nissans,Suabrus Etc etc etc are these days when they get deeper into the run....The problems for a first year vehicle though could happen....had a freind get his wife a BRAND new Camery got a total of 1.2 miles down the road afer a test drive and after buying it and the auto tranny went out on it..car did not even have 10 total miles on its odometer so this was obviously a problem FROM the factory...took a week and a half to get the car back...which they did put a extended 60,000 bumper to bumper warranty(100,000 powertrain)so that they would "feel more secure with their new purchase" nothing bad yet on the RAV 4 though but....And on the reversr of that I had my forester for 20 hours and the check engine light came on and themaking me take it back for them to diagnose a 02 sensor being bad....luckily it was on a day off that I had or I may NOT have been so happy......

·
Registered
453 Posts
Be aware that Toyota reliability is not what it has been in the past because a they expanded too quickly. As a matter of fact, Toyota recently decided to scale back on production a little to try and consolidate its gains and restore its reliability!

BTW, if the forester XT limited (only available with all the options in the book now, unlike when I bought mine in '04) strikes you as overpriced, then why do you want to get rid of a perfectly great almost new vehicle?

Unless the '01 is giving you trouble, it should be good for another 5-10 years unless you are driving a crazy number of miles or request more out of your vehicle than average.

Just keep the old Forester and save the money. Cars are depreciating assets and at best money pits. Now that you have one that's probably paid for and not that valuable, it won't bleed value, taxes and insurance as much as a new vehicle.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Candy said:
He wants something faster :Banane36:
That's true, but if the Forester XT seems overpriced, then the same budgetary constraints or mentality might also frown upon getting rid of a recent vehicle that's still in good shape!

Unless of course another use could be found within the family for that vehicle!

It's a great vehicle to hand down to your kids after all!

·
German tech
3,563 Posts
I was just quoting his post, not commenting on his rationale

Edit - I didn't read in his post that price was an issue

I like the storage compartment in the RAV's cargo area but I got almost the same by removing the foam packing in my XT. I have yet to build supports for the floor to compensate for their removal.

I may just do cut outs in the original foam packing for important items - ie beer and for a few bottles of single malt :lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the replies thus far. And price isn't too much of an issue. I was just a little surprised that the FXT was slightly more expensive than the RAV4. But that can be taken care of easily once I start persuading the salesman of my "interest" in the Toyota.

To reiterate, I have wanted something faster for quite some time and I have grown to love the utility and its ability to conquer the winter roads which the Forester is so capable of, so going to a regular car was out of the question. With that said, I knew my options were going to be limited if I wanted something with a hatch at the back (or door on the RAV4... don't like that so much now that I think about it) and an engine with balls. I'm leaning quite heavily towards the FXT right now. Tomorrow, I'm going to test drive the vehicle again to make sure it's what I really want and to persuade the sales guy for a better price. The RAV4 isn't out of the picture yet but after driving my MY01 for almost 6 years, I suppose I've developed a certain loyalty to Subaru.

Oh, for those who are interested, I'm looking at the '06 model since Subaru is clearing out their inventory. Would love to have the 17" rims and the MP3 jack but if it means saving $$$, so be it.

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,969 Posts
Keep us posted Zip........hopefully you can find a really good deal on an 06 XT......it's an excellent time of the month & year to buy one! :icon_cool:

·
German tech
3,563 Posts
OctoFozzy said:
I couldn't get myself to buy an SUV with the spare wheel hanging off the back. So Jeep-ish.
But all that extra cargo room (and underfloor storage)

+ves and -ves eh :icon_wink:

oh, and if you ever go camping, the spare wheel hanger is a godsend

G

·
Candy said:
But all that extra cargo room

+ves and -ves eh :icon_wink:
Cargo capacity (with back seat up):
Forester - 387 li
Rav4 - 540 li

Hmmm ... let me think :icon_rolleyes: ... nope still not buying

1 - 20 of 61 Posts