Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been agonizing over what car to get for the last few months. I'd ask these questions on one of the Impreza forums but those are so focused on racing and mods...

My choices are Forester, Impreza or Lancer Ralliart (I'm 45 by the way so the boy racer image concerns me a bit with the Lancer)

My wife has an '05 Forester so the Impreza or Lancer 5 doors will have enough room for most of my needs. She also can't drive stick so I have to get an automatic.
I like the sportiness of the Impreza GT over the Forester. What concerns me is the 4 speed transmission on both. The Subaru is also lacking in the cool options like the Lancer (different torque distribution, sport mode shifting and others) The costs come out about the same for both the Lancer and Impreza.

So, those that have the XT or Impreza GT automatics, how do you like the performance of the car. Good acceleration and shifts with that 4speed?
Do you think the $26+k for the Impreza is justified? Seems like it should be a bit less for what it has.
I know I'm asking very subjective questions but I'm stuck. I finally found a GT to test drive an hour away. I'll see if I can get down there tomorrow.

Thanks for listening,
davidk

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replied guys...didn't mean to post and run.

Well, I just done it. I had an Impreza GT on order but just got a call that they've discontinued it. Not sure where they got that info...I thought info about the Impreza wouldn't be out till June.
So, I agonized about the Forester/Outback and decided on the Forester XT. Concerned about the Outback shimmy thing pushed me to the Forester.

I can see a couple things I'll be doing right away. Sound abatement to tone down the road noise in the rear. (My wifes really drones at some speeds, I hope they got better since '05) Replace the radio with a carputer. See if it has that heat shield attached to the plastic parts of the radiator and fashion a skid plate to protect it. Look into lowering to an Impreza height.

I'm still not 100% enthused about the car though. It has a few minuses about it that I'll have to deal with, but it's +'s outweigh the +'s of the other brands I've looked at.

I'll be reading alot more on the fourms now that I'm getting the Forester.
Thanks again,
davidk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts