Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been agonizing over what car to get for the last few months. I'd ask these questions on one of the Impreza forums but those are so focused on racing and mods...

My choices are Forester, Impreza or Lancer Ralliart (I'm 45 by the way so the boy racer image concerns me a bit with the Lancer)

My wife has an '05 Forester so the Impreza or Lancer 5 doors will have enough room for most of my needs. She also can't drive stick so I have to get an automatic.
I like the sportiness of the Impreza GT over the Forester. What concerns me is the 4 speed transmission on both. The Subaru is also lacking in the cool options like the Lancer (different torque distribution, sport mode shifting and others) The costs come out about the same for both the Lancer and Impreza.

So, those that have the XT or Impreza GT automatics, how do you like the performance of the car. Good acceleration and shifts with that 4speed?
Do you think the $26+k for the Impreza is justified? Seems like it should be a bit less for what it has.
I know I'm asking very subjective questions but I'm stuck. I finally found a GT to test drive an hour away. I'll see if I can get down there tomorrow.

Thanks for listening,
davidk

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
I would actually go with the lancer in this case. If you're going for an XT the 07-08 sport XT has the best auto transmission of any of the foresters, not really a fan of the 09+ if you're looking for performance. The 4 speed is getting quite outdated, especially with other manufacturers such as VW and mitsu continually improving their transmission offerings (ie the dsg, 5,6 speed transmission, fancy diffs etc).

·
Registered
2017 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,457 Posts
I have a Forester and an Impreza. I love them both. Though when I replace the Impreza in a couple of years, I will be getting a Legacy GT. Might wan to check those out.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
471 Posts
In my opinion, and taking into account the fact that it's a 4 speed versus 5 and 6 speed automatics on other cars, I think the 4 speed automatic box does a fine job mated to the turbo engine in the Impreza GT.

The Impreza 2.5GT will actually sticker somewhere around $28k. Invoice is usually around $26,400 on those. And if you can actually find one at a dealer, chances are you can get it for as cheap as they can possibly sell it for, as they do not sell well at all.

Come to think of it, I reckon the Forester XT Premium might be a better value if you think you can do without heated seats/mirrors/wipers

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Limited
17 Posts
The 4 speed works just fine in the FXT. There is plenty of power and it does the job (and I was surprised that it did). Handling should be the question. The new forester is not that great on handling ( 8 inches off the ground ). If performance is what you want and space isn't an issue, I would get the Legacy with the turbo (not the impreza) :starwars:

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
471 Posts
Well, he said he needs a 5-door at minimum. And an automatic. So we're on the Impreza GT or Forester XT.

What I would do? Find a year old, gently used, CPO Outback XT. 5-speed auto, more power, SI-drive, better warranty, better resale than Impreza GT.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replied guys...didn't mean to post and run.

Well, I just done it. I had an Impreza GT on order but just got a call that they've discontinued it. Not sure where they got that info...I thought info about the Impreza wouldn't be out till June.
So, I agonized about the Forester/Outback and decided on the Forester XT. Concerned about the Outback shimmy thing pushed me to the Forester.

I can see a couple things I'll be doing right away. Sound abatement to tone down the road noise in the rear. (My wifes really drones at some speeds, I hope they got better since '05) Replace the radio with a carputer. See if it has that heat shield attached to the plastic parts of the radiator and fashion a skid plate to protect it. Look into lowering to an Impreza height.

I'm still not 100% enthused about the car though. It has a few minuses about it that I'll have to deal with, but it's +'s outweigh the +'s of the other brands I've looked at.

I'll be reading alot more on the fourms now that I'm getting the Forester.
Thanks again,
davidk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts