Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Volkswagen GTI
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am coming from a 2016 GTI, but when i am driving around 80 or so the Forester does not feel at tight at the GTI did. Its kinda loosey goosey it seems. Is there anything i can do to tighten up the driving when going straight at high mph?

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT
109 Posts
You're comparing apples to oranges here. The GTI is literally made for the Autobahn, while the Forester XT, while upgraded from the base model, is still a slightly lifted CUV. I've gotten my FXT up to about 95mph or so, and it feels like I expect it to. It's not a German hot hatch.

·
Registered
14 Forester Cvt
26 Posts
Sport tuned hot hatch VS Fuel efficient small SUV
Are you really surprised they drive and feel different?

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
783 Posts
So i am coming from a 2016 GTI
Not a fair comparison, majority of vehicles will not behave at 80MPH the same way as GTI does. I was driving mostly BMW X1 (1st generation) and Audi A3 hatchback before XT, and I must admit that I was missing X1...
XT is boxy and tall, crosswinds will disturb it as any other vehicle of that shape and weight. Without crosswinds, it is totally fine except on center steering feeling. Interestingly, for me S# helps little bit vs I/S mode. I am ok with how it behaves at 80+MPH (for what it is), you can actually appreciate engine much more at that speed than in city driving.
If you want to tighten it little bit, I would start with tires, then steering dampener lockdown and rear sway bar...

·
Registered
13 forester 2.5 & 14 XT 4eat/ CVT
157 Posts
So i am coming from a 2016 GTI, but when i am driving around 80 or so the Forester does not feel at tight at the GTI did. Its kinda loosey goosey it seems. Is there anything i can do to tighten up the driving when going straight at high mph?
Hey also juat came from a 2016 GTI. I just grabbed new tires and hoping a 20mm sway bar will do the trick as mentioned above.

After awhile you get use to it a bit.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Ford RS & 2019 Subaru Descent
1,349 Posts
Get an alignment first. Subaru is notorious for having alignment out of spec from the factory. If car still seems loose, get the 20mm rear sway bar, throw on a strut tower bar and consider some decent tires.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,583 Posts
Make sure the tires are not over-inflated.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,238 Posts
@thomaswhudson
Alignments help if the car isn't tracking correctly in a straight line (check it in a level parking lot), but "loosely goosey"... Don't think so.
As @Beluga said, the Forester is relatively tall and boxy for its size, and at higher speeds, aerodynamics are a major consideration.
That being said, the loose feeling shouldn't be all that evident except for encountering turbulence (big trucks) and primarily cross winds.
The more surface area the car has that the wind can act on, the more it is susceptible to those effects. The GTI has a lot lower profile.
If you need steering input corrections to counteract those forces, a heavier sway bar could help, but driving at 80 without that upgrade shouldn't be an "adventure".
Any car can feel loose with less than ideal tires, and the stock Bridgestones that came on my car were terrible.
Driving at freeway speeds the car felt like the steering inputs were communicated to the chassis via rubber bands.
With a new set of Faulken Pro G4 AS tires, my Foz is MUCH more sure footed and the steering feels light years ahead of where it was.
My Foz spends most of it's life at 80 on a wide open interstate, and while it isn't an Autobahn car by any means, it has no problems holding a line or taking evasive action in an otherwise stock configuration.
Try a new set of good radials and I think most of your problems will be solved.

·
Registered
2016 Volkswagen GTI
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all

Yeah not really trying to compare them, just saying that is what i am use to and if i could tighten it up a bit that would be great. All good suggestions though, mucho thanks.

·
Registered
2017 '08 2.5x / '17 2.5i 4EAT, CVT
181 Posts
Noticed the difference too, coming from a Honda Civic. ;-)

By comparison, my 2008 Forester handles noticeably better at all speeds and is more fun to drive, but it's a bit more like a wagon than an SUV. As mentioned already, the newer Foresters are taller with a higher center of gravity, so there's not really that much you can do to change that. What's already been suggested should help some anyway.

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Premium CVT
370 Posts
I'll tell you what my mechanic told me...you're not supposed to go 80 mph (I'm NJ, we can only go 65mph)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2015 Forester XT Touring
1,422 Posts
Lower it 4 inches and run 255s. Worked like a charm. I felt steady as ever past 100+ on trips in Mexico.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,022 Posts
Like many have said, it's not a fair comparison. The being said, lowering the Forester and upgrading the suspension would help. Yet, is that why you bought/leased the Forester? To compete with a GTI? A WRX would have been a better and cheaper alternative.

I'll tell you what my mechanic told me...you're not supposed to go 80 mph (I'm NJ, we can only go 65mph)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
L-o-L

You're not supposed to? When was the last time you or most other drivers did what they were supposed to. Where I'm at in CT, the speed limits vary from 45- 65 mph on the major roads/freeways. Do you think anyone sticks with those speeds? Only if you want to be run over by practically ever other vehicle on the road... Including the State Police. Now, if there is snow and/or ice? People slow down... A bit, but not by much. It's pretty crazy actually.

·
Registered
2016 Volkswagen GTI
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
lol no race car here

My drive to work is 80 mph there and back, that is why i ask. I did not buy it to compete with a sports car but i like it to go when i need it go. We camp a lot so i bought it for that mostly and to be able to go off road. I just want to tighten up the suspension a tad.

Like many have said, it's not a fair comparison. The being said, lowering the Forester and upgrading the suspension would help. Yet, is that why you bought/leased the Forester? To compete with a GTI? A WRX would have been a better and cheaper alternative.

L-o-L

You're not supposed to? When was the last time you or most other drivers did what they were supposed to. Where I'm at in CT, the speed limits vary from 45- 65 mph on the major roads/freeways. Do you think anyone sticks with those speeds? Only if you want to be run over by practically ever other vehicle on the road... Including the State Police. Now, if there is snow and/or ice? People slow down... A bit, but not by much. It's pretty crazy actually.

·
Registered
2018 Touring XT CVT
187 Posts
You guys can even get over 45? We here in the DC Metro around the Capital Beltway are jealous.... can actually hit 55 on a gov't holiday!! Gridlock life!

·
Premium Member
2018 Forester XT Touring
256 Posts
I'm on the Capital Beltway every day and if you're not doing 70 (off peak hours of course) you're going to get run over, especially on the MD side. If you are looking for an Autobahn experience I suggest trying Route 4 into Southern MD. LOL.

·
Registered
2018 Touring XT CVT
187 Posts
I'm on the Capital Beltway every day and if you're not doing 70 (off peak hours of course) you're going to get run over, especially on the MD side. If you are looking for an Autobahn experience I suggest trying Route 4 into Southern MD. LOL.
Yep, I'm not exactly off peak. Will admit though, it can be quite the fun Capital Rollercoaster on off peak. ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts