Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
04 Forester
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Scooby last August from a school teacher who was going out of the country for a year. It was a really good deal, but now I wonder why...

Long story short, I hit a deer in November and two days later I got a rod knock. Insurance company was not down with the deer explanation for how a deer caused rod knock. My theory - the rod bearing was probably weak to begin with because the prior owner did not maintain it very well (just change your oil a**hole) and I slammed on the brakes and tried hard to avoid hitting the deer, making the oil slosh to one side, starving the other side. I used to work at a machine shop (working on mostly cylinder heads) so I recognized a bad sound, but I was really hoping it was a valve knock. No such luck.

So, I started exploring options....
All of the local shops were going to charge a lot of money for another SOHC that had right around 100,000 miles. This kind of pissed me off.
Being the way that I am, I decided that I was going to do it myself - and replace it with a DOHC instead of SOHC.

I found one on Ebay (I know, I know) that claimed to have 40k on it and got it. One issue with this is that the seller said it came out of an '05 WRX. From everything I've seen, this is not possible. Unless a cross-year model/engine where they used EJ255's in '05 WRX's this is not possible. I'm not going to get into this much more, because it still frustrates me.

I didn't have too much to work with as far as a garage, but I have an engine lift, 4000 pneumatic lift, impact driver's etc., but I'm making due. Oh, and I started this in the dead of winter... Very cold.

·
Registered
04 Forester
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next phase.

Did I mention that in order to clear out the garage required moving TWO 1940's Jeep Willy's chasis and an International Cub Cadet riding lawnmower?

Moving the Willy's (and 4 flat head's) sucked, but moving the Cub Cadet spawned a new drinking game! :Banane17:

Its called: try to get the lawnmower sideways.

Now, if I could just get the crank pulley bolt to break loose then I could see where all the trouble started. Looks like I should have gotten a better air compressor... :icon_rolleyes:

Looks ok from here. At least it didn't go through the head...

The new one, sans AC pump. Had to swap the bracket off of the SOHC.

·
Registered
04 Forester
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Advice

Now, I started this out with an open mind (maybe a little too open :icon_redface:) and confidence in my abilities. I know how an engine works. I've torn them down and rebuilt them in a timely fashion - it was my job. Anyone COULD do this, but I would hate to have started this project with any less experience. That being said, I am currently lost on the wiring - but we'll get to that later.

Advice - If you are going to do this: GET A WHOLE DONOR CAR.
It would have made things sooo much easier instead of having to piece together every part. I wish I had just spend $200 to get an insurance auto auction license and found a good candidate. I probably would have saved money and time in the end too.

Goodbye fenders.

And silly downpipe-less exhaust

Interior's gotta go too.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
So what are you doing for an ECU and engine wiring?

Also did you ever check the timing belt after hitting the deer? Usually in accidents like that the timing belt skips a tooth or two and ruins the valve train etc.

·
Registered
04 Forester
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the harness out of an '04 STI. Still need an '04 STI ECU - anyone have one they want to get rid of?

The car continued to run seemingly fine for 2 days after hitting the deer, the timing seems to have not skipped - I'll post some pics up. I'm positive it wasn't a valve/head issue, but I can confirm that as soon as I get the dang crank pulley off...:shrug:

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4EAT
2,160 Posts
Yes, that would work too. Though, I figured that the STI ECU would give me more options for the future.
Unless your want to do a direct STi swap without having to tune you would want an STi ECU. But if you're willing to do a tune, you can flash the proper data into the FXT ECU.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So how is it going now?

Found the thread and was wondering how things were going, then I realized you are only an hour away from me... Small world.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS 5MT
98 Posts
I didn't realize that this was back in 2010. To the OP any updates?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts