Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
On previous models... part of the difference was 4-wheel disc brakes (XT) versus front discs and rear drum brakes (X).
On the new models, there is no manual transmission XT... giving the advantage to the X model which came with both automatic and manual options.
The interior options are available on either model depending on the trim level. Whether leather interior, the moonroof, etc.

Best of luck figuring out which model is best for you. Beware of how addicting the turbo on the XT model can be if you test out both models. It can make the X model feel inadequate if you've got a heavy right foot.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
Premium fuel required for the XT but when figured up it doesn't add much to fuel expense. Subaru may say 'premium recommended' but I would not burn regular unleaded in any forced induction engine (turbo or blower), so as far as I'm concerned it is 'premium required.'

If I had it to do again I would shoot the lock off my wallet and would buy an XT. I like my X, but an XT would be sweet.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
Only difference is the XT has the turbo engine otherwise there the same car

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x Tour
100 Posts
One thing I should point out as an X owner is that as the engine computer "learns" how you drive, it will adapt. My X was lethargic when I bought it but after lugging the engine SEVERAL times (more than a dozen), I now have a significantly more sprightly drive. Will it ever throw you back in the seat? No. But for me the value of being able to run regular gas and have a manual transmission made the decision for ME.

BTW, I won't test drive an XT SOLELY because I don't want to feel like I made the wrong decision...

·
Registered
99 RS
111 Posts
I had a 2002 Foz S and really enjoyed it, had more grunt of the bottom and better fuel milage plus you could run regular octane.

My current 2005 Fox XT is a rocketship, and certainly sucks back the fuel at a prodigous rate, not as much bottom end low rpm grunt and more costly because the expense of the premium fuel.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,011 Posts
Seriously the only thing that kept me from getting the XT was the automatic transmission.

·
Registered
1995 Volvo 850 T-5
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm buying a 04 Forester X I was just curious. I have owned 3 cars/trucks in my life. A Volvo 740 Turbo, Ford Ranger XL and currently a Volvo 850 Turbo. I love the power of the turbo. That being said, I use them pretty hard because of the power and then feel like I beat them. I am looking forward to having a naturally aspirated engine to calm down a little and maybe save on maintenance.

-Thanks

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
I own an X and XT and besides the power the XT has a ton more features. Auto climate control, heated seats, larger headed side mirrors, LSD rear diff, 4 wheel disc brakes and a leather steering wheel. The XS model has the same extras the XT does, just with an NA motor.

If you can find one, an XS is a much better value than an X model. They don't drive any different, but when you factor in all the little things it is a much more enjoyable car.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
210 Posts
I went with the X for mileage and being able to run regular unleaded. If I want a turbo and speed, I take my truck out.

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
Seriously the only thing that kept me from getting the XT was the automatic transmission.
While I've had a host of 3,4, and 5 speed manual transmissions, and after testing FX manuals and autos, and FXT manuals and autos, I was won over by the 4EAT...if all you do all day is run quarter mile drags, or have to win street light grand prixs get a manual and be happy.
But every kind of driving I do, I much prefer automatics...many who haven't driven offroad much will think that the manual has an advantage, but those who drive alot offroad will be quick to tell you that automatics have distinct advantages. My only concession to the manual offroad is it has better steep downhill compression braking, but not by a whole lot.
Onroad, if you get involved with manual shifting an automatic, the automatic is not going to be at much disadvantage, especially if you learn the blipping throttle first gear downshift...
-Quick

·
Registered
2011 Sage Green FXP 5 spd
259 Posts
I love 5MTs, so I couldn't consider the XT. Just preferances, I guess. That and I might get into trouble with the turbo. ; )

I don't do any serious "offroading", anyway. >^..^<

·
Registered
09 Forester 2.5X
704 Posts
BTW, I won't test drive an XT SOLELY because I don't want to feel like I made the wrong decision...
Agreed!! Oh, and the price was also much better (for me) for the 2.5X M/T and almost no factory upgrades.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Home is at 9K ft and the playground is 9-14K. With such big long hill climbs at altitude, it's the Turbo FTW.

·
Registered
2004 Forester
71 Posts
I would suggest the X, the XT is great, but... you **can** run into serious repair costs with Turbo engines in the long rong. Also, much prefer the manual trans. I want to control the car, not the other way round!

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 4 A/T
305 Posts
Same here. Darn car companies are all going "base engine only" on manuals these days.

That said-I enjoy driving my MT Foz a lot and once you learn the power curve you can have some fun passing on two lanes and running the twisties- you just won't win any drag races.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
I would suggest the X, the XT is great, but... you **can** run into serious repair costs with Turbo engines in the long rong.
I would say the opposite is true with Subarus. The 2.5L turbo engines have proven to be near bulletproof while the N/A models are still developing head gasket troubles at higher mileages. What was believed to be a problem limited to the first generation of the Forester only is now increasingly rearing its head even on the SG generation motors as they get up in mileage, and we've even seen a case involving an SH, IIRC. Until Subaru can eliminate this problem for good I would consider the XT more reliable in the long run.

·
Registered
2004 Forester
71 Posts
I would say the opposite is true with Subarus. The 2.5L turbo engines have proven to be near bulletproof while the N/A models are still developing head gasket troubles at higher mileages. What was believed to be a problem limited to the first generation of the Forester only is now increasingly rearing its head even on the SG generation motors as they get up in mileage, and we've even seen a case involving an SH, IIRC. Until Subaru can eliminate this problem for good I would consider the XT more reliable in the long run.
Fair call, my experience is only based on one friend who had endless troubles with his turbo on his forester. For the sake of everyone, hopefully no one has head gasket problems! :woohoo:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts