Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago there was nothing that I knew of that was wrong with my car. I come back today, and it refuses to go into gear. It's an '06 XT Auto.

The gear selector will move out of park, but when going from 'P' to 'R' there is a "clunk" and you can feel the car shake. Shifting from 'R' to any other gear does nothing.

So now I some questions . . .

1. First step seems to be to check the a/t level and pray that it's low and just adding some fluid will fix things. The problem is the car isn't parked level, it's parked on a slope where, facing forwards, the right half of the car is about 6 inches higher than the left. Given this position, what would a normal reading be?

2. It also happens to be parked on the 3rd floor of a parking garage . . . and I can't shift into Neutral. If I need to get it towed and serviced, how can I physically get it out? Is there any way to get it to "let go" of the transmission lock?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,722 Posts

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Theres a little rectangular plastic piece that can be removed right next to the shifter. Under it is a sort of button, if pushed in it unlocked the shift interlock and will let you shift out of P, and would probably let you get into N. I'd bet the actual shifter mechanism is broken, and not something in the transmission.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts