Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

· Registered
2022 Wilderness Geyser Blue
520 Posts
@Move Zig Where did you find these? Someone on the Outback forum found the full 2022 Outback manual somewhere prior to the wilderness getting announced and it basically told us everything there was to know about it. I asked him where he got it, but he never responded. Do you have any ideas on where we might look for the 2022 Forester manual?

Also, there may be some other parts that would tell us more information about the look of the new wilderness. Things that come to mind are the additional cladding, the front and rear bumpers, and the seats.

· Registered
520 Posts
So one other note. I did find mention of an Auto Show and a countdown in the page source. No date is specified for the countdown that I can find and it obviously isn't active yet. However, the new WRX will be at the NY Auto show on August 19th so it may be a safe bet the Forester wilderness will be there too.

Also, I tried navigating to the mentioned URL and it didn't work.

· Registered
520 Posts
Here is the picture from the twitter post. Not much additional from it. You can tell it is the same wheels as the outback, but we expected that due to the 22 Forester using those in the spy shots. I'm hoping they up the tire size to match the outback (225/65r17 instead of 225/60r17), but I can't read the side of the tire or tell from this image.

· Registered
520 Posts
Chances are the powertrain will be the existing 2.5 n/a four and not a turbo with a mildly revised CVT (to match the lower gearing for the Outback).

But we'll know in a few days/weeks/month.
I'm curious what others think on this topic. With my limited knowledge I THINK a wilderness with the current engine would be pretty gimped compared to the Outback. Even with revised gearing as the torque is pretty low on the FB25. However, I don't really know.

It would just seem weird to me for them to have a Forester Wilderness that isn't much more than an appearance package when compared to the Outback Wilderness. Do you or anyone else have any thoughts?

· Registered
520 Posts
This is the EPA's official fuel economy site. Car companies have to go through them for the MPG numbers they list. Seeing this information on their site is as close to official as it can get without hearing directly from Subaru. It is about the same as seeing a phone's testing get released by the FCC before it is announced.

I have a very hard time seeing any way this is not correct.

· Registered
520 Posts
Anyone knows what AV-S8 means? It is the same code as Outback Wilderness Turbo and Forester 2.5 N/A for 2021 and 2022 have a different code...
Still hoping it was some kind of mistake...
I could MAYBE see the specific motor listed on the Wilderness being a mistake, but I very much doubt any of the MPG numbers are in error. With that in mind, the CB18 turbo might could get those MPG numbers, but no chance the FA24F turbo would. The Outback and Forester have the same MPG numbers with the FB25D so the Wilderness could not be 2 MPG better with the same engine.

For the standard forester there is only one set of numbers and that matches the 2021 so I don't see any chance that the non-wilderness listing is wrong.

Regardless, all of this is an EXTREMELY small possibility. More than likely this is correct.

· Registered
520 Posts
Very likely.

It’s possible the transmission control module was changed to give the simulated 7 gears to the TR580 along with the changes to match a different rear axle ratio…

or maybe subaru just used the TR690 with the different rear axle ratio, which has the 7 simulated gears in the outback/ascent.
I couldn't find it with a quick search, but I think that the Forester Sport already uses an 8 speed simulated gear programing instead of the 7. Not positive on that though. I could be thinking of the Japanese Sport that has the CB18 engine.

· Registered
520 Posts
We should know all the details in 3 days IIRC? I guess it will also cover all the lineup?
What is this based on? The WRX was supposed to be announced on the 19th at the NY Auto show, but that got removed from their site when the show was canceled? I do think there is a really good chance it will drop this week, but I didn't think there was any indication of when. Tomorrow morning is a pretty good chance as Tuesday morning is a very common time for their announcements to drop.

· Registered
520 Posts

Saw an article this morning that the Wilderness (and WRX) announcements are on hold due to the NY Auto Show cancelation. This appears to be legit as they actually quote a Subaru spokesperson in the article.

“We have not confirmed when information about WRX or the next Wilderness model will be released due to the cancellation of NYIAS,” a Subaru spokesperson told Carscoops.
I expect they are looking to get a media event planned similar to how they did the Outback Wilderness and that is the reason for the delay. I doubt this will delay actual production, just when we find out.

· Registered
520 Posts
Carscoops is a lot like Torquenews - a bit of clickbait. I'd seen an article a few weeks ago about the WRX being released at the NY show, but there was no mention of the Forester Wilderness at that time. Beyond some of the clickbait sites, I don't recall seeing any official release date for the Wilderness. Best guesses would have been the next big show (the LA show in November?) ...

As for the legitimacy of the quote - that supposed Subaru spokesperson could be anybody - even a mechanic at the local Subaru shop. WIthout a specific reference to "Bob Jones, VP of Subaru of America" or similar, it's still just (in the legal terms) hearsay.

Logically, it would not make sense for Subaru to release the Wilderness trim level at the same time as the WRX - as one would overshadow the other, depending on your preference for a sporty 4-door sedan or a spec'ed out SUV....
That makes sense. I'm not familiar with carscoops so forgive the referencing of a click bate site. Anyway, I can't see us being more than 2-4 weeks out now even with a delay, and (like I said) I can't see this actually delaying production. Worst case scenario it delays custom orders and those don't get started until later on. Regardless, we'll know soon enough.

· Registered
520 Posts
Who knows? Maybe they'll do a "soft" announcement/release of the WRX and the Wilderness at the upcoming Subiefest event in So Cal (October)... I know (got a notification from Subiefest) that the BRZ will be on display at the Subiefest Midwest event later this month (or is it early September?)...
Oh yeah. I forgot about Subiefest. It makes sense they would want these vehicles there. Especially since it is "sponsored by Subaru Wilderness". lol. Anyway, the next one is August 22nd, but that might be a little too soon to get the Forester. After that it is Sept 12th, Sept 26th, and Oct 17th. They probably want to get these announced quickly so they can be present at those events and pump sales. I bet they get a TON of based off publicity at Subiefest.

· Registered
520 Posts
New video posted to Subaru's global page on the updated forster. This is a version that won't be coming here (hybrid), but it gives a good look at the new design and the new Cascade Green Silica (Dark Green) color that will likely be available here too.

· Registered
520 Posts
Check out the :42 mark. Motion controlled temp adjustment?
Yeah, that is a new Driver Focus feature. Should be an option for us on any vehicle that has it. However, I don't see it being all that useful over just pushing a button. The touring is currently the only vehicle with driver focus, but it wouldn't surprise me to see it trickle down to the limited.

· Registered
520 Posts
I doubt it unless they beef it up and increase its efficiency. The current eBoxer they have is woefully underpowered for the USDM market and the current crop of available hybrid compact SUVs here and I understand its fuel economy benefits to be pretty minuscule over the gas version.
Honestly, I think it is now about compliance that efficiency.

· Registered
520 Posts
That's very well true, Zach... but then again, they're also working on that Solterra in the next few years as an add to the product line... so that may be another reason not to bring the eboxer to the USDM...

At least in theory...
Oh, I totally agree that they are not bringing it to the US. I was thinking it was about compliance in other countries. Just a thought as I don't have much knowledge there.

Maybe not a new Eyesight system, just a repackaging of the system - to make it less obtrusive on interior space and the view out the windshield.
You could very well be right, but I do think it is the next generation eyesight. I think everyone will agree that eyesight X is the next generation and this uses the same front cameras. However, everything we have seen thus far suggests it won't have the 360 cameras. In effect the differences probably won't be huge from a user perspective. Probably slightly better performance with the existing feature set and a few extra safety feature like minor accident avoidance. Here is roughly the same diagram for the Levorg (Eyesight X), the new foreign outback, and the forester. The outback reduced the sensors to only the back and the Forester appears to get rid of them all together. Sad day.

Also, here is the Japanese website talking about the system on the forester. Only real difference I see is some of the accident avoidance.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.