Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at Subarus, Foresters and Outbacks. What is the major difference in ride and how they handle between the two?
It would only see about 5,000 miles a year. Some gravel roads and the rest highway. Which one would you reccomend?
Thanks for any suggestions or ideas.

·
Administrator
13,881 Posts
G'day & Welcome @F2036

Realistically either will do the job with the Outback perhaps a bit more luxurious and, with a little longer wheelbase, a bit more comfortable on the highway. Other than that the suspension is the same.

If you were going off-road then the Forester would be more suitable. (not as much overhang on each end)

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,183 Posts
^Agree
Also the Forester has a more upright windshield and better ingress, egress. Our OB will hold more for those long trips. Rear legroom is better too. The Forester is easier to navigate and park intown. All in all they have more in common, just different flavored entrees from the same kitchen using similar ingredients.

·
admin
7,183 Posts
We absolutely love the smooth effortless power of our 3.6. Don't miss the XT turbo.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
106 Posts
One thing I forgot of course is that you can get the lovely 3.6R engine in the Outback
Not anymore. They replaced the H6 in both the Outback and Legacy with the 2.4L turbo H4 used in the Ascent.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
106 Posts
While I prefer wagons, I bought a Forester instead of an Outback because it had plenty of room for me. Also the Forester is a little bit lighter, not as underpowered as an Outback with the base engine. Though neither of them are exactly sports cars.
Test drive both and see which one better suits your needs.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
57 Posts
One thing I forgot of course is that you can get the lovely 3.6R engine in the Outback
Only on a used vehicle. MY20 doesn't offer the 3.6R and it was replaced by a 2.4L turbo; the same engine that's in the Ascent.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
475 Posts
Now that Subaru has implemented the Global Platform, shared between the Outback and Forester, I have to wonder if there will be much of a difference in handling, beyond the wheelbase influence?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
475 Posts
Not sure that's a good thing - you can still get the 3.6R here; the turbo variants have not yet been released.
Interesting. I went to the Subaru Australia site and saw the 3.6 offered, as you indicate. What I find interesting is how the 3.6 fits the Global Platform engine mounts.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
475 Posts
Here is what Motor Trend says about the Global Platform handling, in a multi-3 row SUV test, "And just like we've experienced with the newest Subarus, ride and handling are some of the Assents best traits".

So, they also consider all the Global Platform Subarus pretty much the same in handling.

·
admin
7,183 Posts
We recently spent several hours in a 2020 Legacy sedan. We were all impressed with the ride.

·
Super Moderator
1,752 Posts
Test drive both and see which one better suits your needs.
^^^ This.

I love my `13 Forester. (Especially with new Bilsteins on it.)
I covet my parental units `19 Outback with 3.6 engine. (I've swapped in a 20mm RSB onto it. Bilsteins on the list too when OEMs start fading.) - Sadly gets better gas mileage than my XT.

My wife loves her `16 Impreza sedan. She doesn't care for my parental units Outback. And prefers passengering in my Forester than driving it.

It will come down to driving the Forester/Outback and deciding what works for you, versus the best item for in the community. You're driving it, not us.

Long live the 4eat....

Chris.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Automatic
6 Posts
I had a 2010 Forester, and wife had a 2011 Outback. Both were great, Outback was more comfortable, and the Forester was not. The seats in the Outback cradle you all around. The Forester was like a sheet of plywood with leather stapled onto it. I had to one of those wedge pillows in the Forester to compensate for the seat. Aside from head gaskets at 140k miles on Forester costing me $2000 to repair, and aside from slow piston ring failure on the 2011 Outback at 134k miles, They were good in the sense that they always started and never stranded us and performed great in really bad northeast PA snowstorms. When Subaru's have problems, then tend to be very expensive to repair. Never something simple. Despite being bitten on the backside by 3 different Subaru's we still ended up replacing my wifes 2011 Outback with an offlease 2015 Crosstrek with full bumper to bumper warranty. The Crosstrek has been wonderful ! Subaru's you love them and hate them.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Automatic
6 Posts
One more thing, the Outback is basically a jacked up Legacy, so its a high riding car. The Forester is more akin to an SUV and it not a variant of anything else. Get the extended warranty no matter what. Both will meet all your needs.
And are always top rated in safety ratings. Built like tanks !

1 - 20 of 23 Posts