Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forestor GT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 2002 GT Forestor 5 speed.
Luv the car as it has it everything I want in one unit. Thinking of upgrading to the new 2010 Forestor XT auto with the 4 speed sportshift.
Anyone have any thoughts on the current model and moving to the old 4 speed auto ie. currently available.

It is probably the only down point that is holding me back from upgrading to the new Forestor XT as the manual option is not a priority. I don't know why Subaru did not upgrade the transmission to at least the 5 speed auto available as is in the GT Liberty.

Anyone have any info on the 4 speed and if the 2011 Forestor will have an improved Auto transmission othewise I might just hold off to the next upgrade.

·
Registered
13 Liberty GT wagon AT
436 Posts
Nope no info - Subaru are pretty canny with this sort of stuff, I guess it helps to avoid sales slumps of current models until they are in run out mode.

Best to wait as it is almost certain that the 5 spd auto will come in soon (MY11?) as the Forester is the only model w/o one AFAIK on the Oz market.

Of greater importance will be the release of the T/D Forester - must be looming as they have had RHD ones in Europe for ages now.

·
Registered
2003 Forester
17 Posts
We have an 03 Forester and also looked at an 09/10 for a possible upgrade but didn't see any major advantage going that route. As others have said it just might pay to wait a year to see what pans out.

Also, if I'm not mistaken the newer Foresters have less cargo space in the rear than the newer ones?? At least thats the way it appears to me?

Ron W.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts

·
Registered
2004 MY04
33 Posts
Mid year for the diesel Forester.
Dealers will be close to taking orders by now.

My dealer has been discussing diesels with me for a few months now.
Recently drove the outback diesel (same engine)

·
Registered
2002 Forestor GT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the additional thread " 4EAT Replaced in 2012? " some interesting comments on CVT.
Not sure if I am a fan of a CVT tran as I have driven the Outback and some other SUV's with similars boxes, it does have a different feel especially if you are comming from a manual turbo. As mentioned they are more suited to non turbo models at the moment.

Still looking around for a similar size option to the Forestor Turbo and have even checked out some TD options. I may have to go with the 5 speed man Forestor if I decide to stick with the boxer. ViniD

·
Registered
2004 MY04
33 Posts
Pretty sure it's a 6 speed for the diesel that's coming.

and...

it will cost about $5k more

partly due to the engine of course but the "base model" will have alloys, fog lights and other items not usually on a base model

·
Registered
13 Liberty GT wagon AT
436 Posts
CVT for Turbo?

Cant see Subaru putting a CVT behind the turbo (petrol) Forester anytime soon - most CVT's dont seem to be able to handle large amounts of grunt. However, Nissan have one in their Murano (with their lovely 3.5 V6- the engine not the car) so maybe maybe...

The 5 spd from Liberty has been used for some time with the GT, and as Forester tends to get slightly older hand-me-down stuff it seems the logical first fit, especially for the XT.

Pity Subaru haven't got an auto for the diesel yet, but it's no surprise as the primary market is Europe and they dont much like autos there, so it wasn't a development priority. There's many new gen diesels here ATM that dont have an auto option yet - Mazda 6, Ford Mondeo, Skoda Octavia/Scout.

Do you reckon Subaru might be secretly developing a twin-clutch DSG box instead? Absolute speculation on my part of course........

"it will cost about $5k more

partly due to the engine of course but the "base model" will have alloys, fog lights and other items not usually on a base model"
That will make it fun trying to pick XT's from TD's as they will look almost identical :cool:

·
Registered
2010 FORESTER XT PREMIUM
6 Posts
i think subaru dont need to invest much in the autos coz their manuals are bulletproof, and from the looks of it, are not catering for that market, but they just make it available for those that insist, imho, the 5MT is up to scratch, i hardly use 5th on mine, let along a 6th gear, they dont have comp, thats why they arent trying to bring out more gears, dsg's cvt's etc, but i think that if they did have the cvt turbo, it would be more like an audi setup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts