Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring (Blue EXT/ Black INT)
19 Posts
Yes my son and daughter-in-law were very frightened. My son started feeling pain, so we took both of them to Stamford hospital ER and he got tests including a CAT scan. Luckily nothing serious. By the way, problem-wise, New York is a no-fault insurance state so insurance takes car of it.
Here is what I can say with regards to crashing - Subarus are proven, period. We have totaled already 2 Subarus and I continue to buy and be loyal to Subaru.
All the airbags deployed, and Starlink called my son (dashboard system) and he told them the car was on fire. Then a NY State Trooper and ambulance came, then a fire truck.
They were all very professional, and helped all passengers exit the vehicles and stay on the center barrier (this was the high speed lane of I-95, very dangerous). Lanes were blocked and traffic was diverted into lesser lanes.
This was a collision but nothing that freaky. Brake Assist went on according to my son. So everything worked except the car burned. Only the Subaru, not the Honda Van in front that they hit and the SUV behind my son's car.
I have another 2019 Forester Touring in my driveway so I am scared if there is something wrong with the car. I am particularly concerned because I and my mother-in-law are older and may not be able to escape when a fire breaks out. I am a stoke victim and my mother in law had knee and hip replacements so we are not "jumpers". We have another older 2014 Forester, but that is suspect, too, now. My other son, drives a newer 2018 Outback.
I hope Subaru or NHTSA investigates before I buy another Subaru. I almost bought one today, but decided to wait until they say we are safe with a Forester.
If there is an all-Subaru family, it is us.

Thank you for posting this, and glad your family is okay.

We just ordered (yesterday) a 2020 Forester Touring. This would be our first ever Forester, and while we understand any/all cars have issues, cars catching on fire is a bit scary, so hoping Subaru is on top of this.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
740 Posts
This would be our first ever Forester, and while we understand any/all cars have issues, cars catching on fire is a bit scary, so hoping Subaru is on top of this.
Any car may catch fire after a collision. It all depends on where it is hit. The real concern is when they spontaneously catch fire during normal driving as seems to be a frequent problem with one brand which it seems very reluctant to even acknowledge much less fix until forced to.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring (Blue EXT/ Black INT)
19 Posts
Any car may catch fire after a collision. It all depends on where it is hit. The real concern is when they spontaneously catch fire during normal driving as seems to be a frequent problem with one brand which it seems very reluctant to even acknowledge much less fix until forced to.
It is because I trust a Subaru that we have dived in and bought one, so yes, I understand the safety focus that Subaru has.

Also, since it was mentioned - whether catching fire or not, Ford was never even my 9th or 10th option when looking for a new vehicle.

·
Registered
18' 2.5 Premium 6MT
153 Posts
Glad everyone is ok. I don't think the particular car is to blame, the volatile mix of highly flammable fuel and 1500* exhaust parts mean that extensive measures have to be taken to make fire unlikely, it will never be impossible. Cars are inherently dangerous machines.

Quick safety plug, I think the basic car kit needs to include a small ABC extinguisher along with a decent 1st aid kit. You won't even touch a car fire with an extinguisher, the idea is that should you be the good Samaritan who comes upon another unfortunate motorist you can render effective aid.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Scary, for sure. And reassuring that Subaru is stepping up responsibly.

But it's important to maintain perspective. Subarus are not firetraps, no more than any metal box powered by igniting one of the most combustible liquids in the world thousands of times per minute -- and carrying many gallons of that liquid inside itself -- is a firetrap.

I completely understand that you want an explanation, but focusing on Subaru as being any more of a fire risk in an accident than other brands seems like an over-reaction.

Glad everybody seems OK. Seems to me the Forester did its job preventing serious injury in a bad crash.
you look like walter white. and you sound like walter white...

if you havent watched breaking bad, you should.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,067 Posts
All it takes is a damaged fuel line in the engine compartment to leak fuel to trigger a fire. And given that vehicles today are GDI engines, those fuel lines are under extreme pressure. Sooo depending on how much fuel was left in the lines and where the fuel ended up.....not surprised a fire started.

·
Registered
2017 XT Limited + Tech
221 Posts
@KenWales I'll correct one thing, the multi-tool should not be in the door pocket because it'll fly out in a severe enough accident. Just like your phone it should be in the center console so if you end up on your side in a ditch, the most important things you need aren't in the back seat.

To the op, the other two cars weren't sandwiched, so comparing really isn't valid.
I have my seat cutting/window cracking tool strapped to the seat belt by the foot of the seat. This way, if you are upside down, you can still reach for the it. It doesn't get in the way of anything.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts