Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently, we own 3 Foresters and 1 Outback. I also bought 2 other Outbacks previously. So that gives you an idea how loyal to Subaru we are.
This weekend we had a serious problem.
The newest Forester Touring we bought last end of June burned to a crisp.
Subaru, I think you have a problem. I did contact the NHTSA just to make sure the problem is logged.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3 car collision on I95 near Mamaroneck, NY. Only the Forester burned. Honda Van in front was able to move on its own. So did the SUV behind.
Subaru America already knows and investigator to call within 48 hours.
NHTSA also informed. Dealer, too. I have case numbers already.
We own 4 relative new Subarus. 2 of them 2019 Forester Tourings.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,281 Posts
Wow, that's concerning! Hope no one was hurt. Did the fire start in the engine compartment or fuel tank?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Rubber band
518 Posts
Currently, we own 3 Foresters and 1 Outback. I also bought 2 other Outbacks previously. So that gives you an idea how loyal to Subaru we are.
This weekend we had a serious problem.
The newest Forester Touring we bought last end of June burned to a crisp.
Subaru, I think you have a problem. I did contact the NHTSA just to make sure the problem is logged.
I hope all involved are ok. Frightening accident. I would say Subaru might have a problem. Maybe just a freak collision. I think you and the guy that hit you both have a problem.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,151 Posts
Although rarer for vehicles these days bc Subaru and other makers take extraordinary care to prevent the gas tank from rupturing. But with enough energy in the right location can rupture the tank and a spark from anywhere and presto. No one takes safety more seriously than subaru. Needless I am not one iota concerned about a generic problem. And it will be investigated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope all involved are ok. Frightening accident. I would say Subaru might have a problem. Maybe just a freak collision. I think you and the guy that hit you both have a problem.
Yes my son and daughter-in-law were very frightened. My son started feeling pain, so we took both of them to Stamford hospital ER and he got tests including a CAT scan. Luckily nothing serious. By the way, problem-wise, New York is a no-fault insurance state so insurance takes car of it.
Here is what I can say with regards to crashing - Subarus are proven, period. We have totaled already 2 Subarus and I continue to buy and be loyal to Subaru.
All the airbags deployed, and Starlink called my son (dashboard system) and he told them the car was on fire. Then a NY State Trooper and ambulance came, then a fire truck.
They were all very professional, and helped all passengers exit the vehicles and stay on the center barrier (this was the high speed lane of I-95, very dangerous). Lanes were blocked and traffic was diverted into lesser lanes.
This was a collision but nothing that freaky. Brake Assist went on according to my son. So everything worked except the car burned. Only the Subaru, not the Honda Van in front that they hit and the SUV behind my son's car.
I have another 2019 Forester Touring in my driveway so I am scared if there is something wrong with the car. I am particularly concerned because I and my mother-in-law are older and may not be able to escape when a fire breaks out. I am a stoke victim and my mother in law had knee and hip replacements so we are not "jumpers". We have another older 2014 Forester, but that is suspect, too, now. My other son, drives a newer 2018 Outback.
I hope Subaru or NHTSA investigates before I buy another Subaru. I almost bought one today, but decided to wait until they say we are safe with a Forester.
If there is an all-Subaru family, it is us.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
The tank does not have to rupture for a fire to engulf a vehicle. It would probably do so, secondarily, though, once the fire spread.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, that's concerning! Hope no one was hurt. Did the fire start in the engine compartment or fuel tank?
I believe in the engine first. I don't think there was serious damage in the back collision wise.
I am wondering where all the fuel came from. I would suppose the fuel pump and injectors will freeze as soon as the engine stops and all the airbags deploy.
This is one scary stuff. Survive a crash, but it burns. And this is a new TOURING model equipped with almost everything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got a call this morning from Subaru America. What a helpful person. Hallelujah. Thank you.
They want all the pictures, police and fire report, insurance claim, and computer data disclosure consent (the ORB2 stuff).
They also want the location of the charred vehicle before the insurance disposes of it.
They said they were seriously investigating this. This is a very new, top of the line Forester Touring and never been serviced before except for the dealer adding a Subaru bike rack (cost me a fortune). This and my other Touring basically came off the boat in Rhode Island and got delivered to the Authorized Dealer. No one else touches my newer Subarus except the dealers (Costco for Michelin tires.)
At least Subaru is serious and very professional. As I said, I'm not here for financial gain, in fact I will buy another Subaru (2020 model) once this is resolved to my liking because I have another one (the same exact model) in my driveway and fire scares me.

I will update y'all later.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,151 Posts
I just got a call this morning from Subaru America. What a helpful person. Hallelujah.
At least Subaru is serious and very professional. As I said, I'm not here for financial gain, in fact I will buy another Subaru (2020 model) once this is resolved to my liking because I have another one (the same exact model) in my driveway and fire scares me.
My friend is a subaru salesman and he said subaru's corporate goal is to have no one killed in any of their vehicles. I am sure they realize this is impossible. But no one takes safety more seriously. Think back to the pillars that could not be cut b the"jaws of life". And the fact that all their vehicles passed the small overlap without redesigning...says it all. NO MANUFACTURE can say that..not even BMW

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,115 Posts
Scary, for sure. And reassuring that Subaru is stepping up responsibly.

But it's important to maintain perspective. Subarus are not firetraps, no more than any metal box powered by igniting one of the most combustible liquids in the world thousands of times per minute -- and carrying many gallons of that liquid inside itself -- is a firetrap.

I completely understand that you want an explanation, but focusing on Subaru as being any more of a fire risk in an accident than other brands seems like an over-reaction.

Glad everybody seems OK. Seems to me the Forester did its job preventing serious injury in a bad crash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you've totaled 3 Subarus already? maybe it's not the car. do you live in a toxic area? i'd figure odds might take a turn and get out while I could.
I have 3 kids. We have totaled 2 Subarus. One son slid in the ice (spun around and hit a tree) and ruined my Outback. Then this was the second one (with different Son). Both has no injuries.
My 3rs kid also drives a Forester. He recently got hit in the back and the 2014 Subaru is in the shop. They are changing the trunk. So the 3rd Subaru was not totaled.
Because they all survived without a scratch, I am very loyal to Subarus.
I think you can call the North East quite toxic.

·
Registered
70 Posts
As a retired ins adjuster, I can remember having claims such as yours. We are trained to look at various burn patterns which help tell the story/source. Your photos from the side are difficult to judge by however it does indicate as you said a forward fire that got into the harnesses entering the front occupant compartment. One person also said about SOA not wanting any fatalities. Period. Some manufacturers are very vocal about letting the public know that fact. One of the better Subaru commercials I remember is a Forester that had the left 3/4 front ripped off and totally crushed, viewable as it was being hauled away on the flatbed. And in the next few frames you see the family getting into their replacement Subaru with the words coming across the screen saying simply, they lived. One of the best recommendations I can suggest is to review all the reports etc from the experts looking at the cause and effects of your particular loss and then decide your next step. These things are scary as all get out. I've seen some of the worst of the worst here in the Phila area over my 30 year career after getting out of the bodyshop trade prior to that. Your veh going up in flames is not common, manufacturers work hard at making this as unlikely as possible in the event of a collision. I will now put in a plug for a a device that everyone should have in their door trim panel pocket and that is a cutting tool to cut the seatbelt and the 2nd is a small hammer to smash side glass. Your very description of your health warrants it. The fire dept & EMS / tow guys / police might be on their way and not get to you in time, you need to be prepared to help yourself. As for your car, the forensic people are amazing at their craft in reconstruction. I've watched a single expert spend a week slowly and methodically dismantling a car such as yours and documenting his findings in such a manner that everyone clearly understands what happened. These kinds of t hings sometimes end up in Court and they are taught to always write your reports as if it is going to Court. You will be treated with utmost care for at least a couple of reasons. SOA cares about your personal situation, well being and outcome. And they do not want any negative media attention as a result of poor customer handling. Your situation has their clear and undivided attention. Just give them some time and you will be OK. As an aside, I can tell you from seeing so many crashed Subies over the years, they take a hit well and do protect the occupants as long as they're not rusty or had previous improper repairs. I also currently own 4 Bajas, one from each year and an 08 Impreza. I will never own another brand. They are a very good car.

·
Registered
337 Posts
@KenWales I'll correct one thing, the multi-tool should not be in the door pocket because it'll fly out in a severe enough accident. Just like your phone it should be in the center console so if you end up on your side in a ditch, the most important things you need aren't in the back seat.

To the op, the other two cars weren't sandwiched, so comparing really isn't valid.

·
Registered
70 Posts
@KenWales I'll correct one thing, the multi-tool should not be in the door pocket because it'll fly out in a severe enough accident. Just like your phone it should be in the center console so if you end up on your side in a ditch, the most important things you need aren't in the back seat.

To the op, the other two cars weren't sandwiched, so comparing really isn't valid.
Yes, I agree, center console compartment would be better. Just have the tool. Thanks for the correction.

·
Registered
'07 Tribeca
2 Posts
And the fact that all their vehicles passed the small overlap without redesigning...says it all. NO MANUFACTURE can say that..not even BMW
"not even BMW"? Why mention them? Volvo is known for safety, SAAB was known for safety, Subaru is known for safety, Audi has a pretty good reputation for safety. Kia & Hyundai are building a pretty good reputation for safety. But BMW? Never heard that one before.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts