Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester auto
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm coming up on the 105K mile timing belt change and I've been getting prices from local dealers and Subaru shops. So far it's ranged from $415 to $1000. What I didn't ask is what all do they replace. The belt, yes, but what else?

I've always been a "if it moves and it's there, replace it" type with my Mazdas. Idlers and water pumps and seals if they are leaking. What should I get replaced while they have it apart?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,994 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,615 Posts
Complete timing belt kits include water pump, timing belt, tensioner and pulleys. Average price for parts for the entire kit are around $400-$450. Then the rest of the procedure is just labour costs of several hours. So on average around $900-$1200 for the entire service depending on what the labour rates are and if they find anything else that needs work.

·
Registered
2010 XT Premium
33 Posts
Minimum is just the belt but nobody does this it’s crazy. The belt is the last thing to break and it breaks because of the idlers not because its worn out (typically). A minimum belt change on our cars is belt and idlers. Most shops will do belt/idlers/water pump as the water pump is run off the timing belt too. I’m just about to do this job on my 2010 XT. Very low kilometres ~84K but it’s roughly 9 to 10 years old so well past its scheduled change time but i made a call based on my usage, kilometres etc. anyway i bought the Roger Clark Motorsport KIT without the water pump (again only 84K so it can wait) and this kit is basically OEM so NSK bearings etc. Here are photos of it i just took its going on in 2 weeks.

RCM Kit was $390aud BTW...

Finished the job post in another thread sorry

2010 Forester Upcoming Head gasket repair
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...ulletin/showthread.php?p=7548333&share_type=t

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts