Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem.................we (the family) are due to come out later this year and are wondering if bringing the STi with us is feasible as its going to cost us about $16,000 AU to ship and get through customs, the car to us has cost $70,000 AU and so there would be a total investment of $86,000 AU, which at this point is ok with us but when we come to sell it in Aus are we going to have problems considering it could possibly be one of a kind or would it get snapped up. In Aug/Sept when we plan to come over we could probably get around $58,000 AU for it in GB if we sold before we came if that would be more sensible.....but that leads onto what to buy when in Aus, is the Forester available with PPP or any other package????

Mog

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
I reckon if you can get it through the door , the queue of buyers would be miles long..........

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stevem said:
I reckon if you can get it through the door , the queue of buyers would be miles long..........
I agree but a brand new XTL is only $46,000 AU !!!!!!!!!!

Mog

·
Registered
285 Posts
Mate, I don't think you'd have any issues at all selling it. It would be a one-of-a-kind STI, especially for an 06.

The best you can do over here is a stock XT and spend money getting it up to the STI standards you are used to.

Look forward to seeing you in Australia though. You obviously have a great taste in cars, just hope we can satisfy you over here!

Oh, and can you post some more pics of your car? Don't think we have any since the site moved to sf.org.

C

·
0 Posts
Bring parts

I suggest sell there, then pack a container full of PPP etc 'bits' & buy an XTL here, fit what you want then ebay the rest when you get here.

2nd thought, Advertise it from there with a "will deliver" note & see what offers you get

$0.02

·
Registered
109 Posts
u would sell it for sure IMO, but i dont know if u would get what u wanted for it. prob high 50's to low 60's as servicing and insurance will be killer

·
Registered
06 XSL Automatic
382 Posts
Don't know what changes have been made in the last few years, but there used to be a time when an imported car without a compliance plate could be tricky when it came to insurance. I think the law was changed to make it easier for small volume imports. But then, each state is probably different as well.

But isn't the real question whether you think you should sell it here or before you leave? If you love the car and want to keep it, just bring it over. Otherwise, just sell it and get an XT like most others. :)

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
291 Posts
oxymoron said:
u would sell it for sure IMO, but i dont know if u would get what u wanted for it. prob high 50's to low 60's
I agree with Oxy... While the thought of owning an FXT STI is extremely attractive, I could spend a relatively small amount on an XT to get the same performance - I think you could easily get $55-65K au.

But the line-up of tyre-kickers would be horrendous (and I'd be one of them )

But a wise-man recently said "It's not about the money, its all about the car"

·
Registered
209 Posts
broadbean said:
Don't know what changes have been made in the last few years, but there used to be a time when an imported car without a compliance plate could be tricky when it came to insurance. I think the law was changed to make it easier for small volume imports. But then, each state is probably different as well.

But isn't the real question whether you think you should sell it here or before you leave? If you love the car and want to keep it, just bring it over. Otherwise, just sell it and get an XT like most others. :)
companies such as Just Cars or Shannons would love you long time. Might be big coin though.

·
Registered
285 Posts
GT_out_west said:
I agree with Oxy... While the thought of owning an FXT STI is extremely attractive, I could spend a relatively small amount on an XT to get the same performance - I think you could easily get $55-65K au.

But the line-up of tyre-kickers would be horrendous (and I'd be one of them )

But a wise-man recently said "It's not about the money, its all about the car"
LOL - wise man or a wise donkey?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just thought I'd tell you that if you do want to bring your STi down here... Come to Adelaide... I wanna see this beast :D

Also, how much is a set of those PPP front brake packages in Aussie dollars???

Cheers :D

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Adster01 said:
Mate, I don't think you'd have any issues at all selling it. It would be a one-of-a-kind STI, especially for an 06.

The best you can do over here is a stock XT and spend money getting it up to the STI standards you are used to.

Look forward to seeing you in Australia though. You obviously have a great taste in cars, just hope we can satisfy you over here!

Oh, and can you post some more pics of your car? Don't think we have any since the site moved to sf.org.
Just for you....................

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I take it then that PPP is not available In Aus !!!!!!!!

Mog

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
I have a great idea...you ship your new FSTi to me in the states from the UK...I ship my modded FXT to you in AUS...and we'll call it even...sounds good to me:p

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sirwilliam said:
I have a great idea...you ship your new FSTi to me in the states from the UK...I ship my modded FXT to you in AUS...and we'll call it even...sounds good to me:p
Sirwilliam you are such a wag.....

Seeing as I'm going to the Perth area does anyone know of any reputable tuning companies locally and what they can do for the Forester.

Ta

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Mog said:
Sirwilliam you are such a wag.....

Seeing as I'm going to the Perth area does anyone know of any reputable tuning companies locally and what they can do for the Forester.

Ta
Hey, it was a long shot but I threw it out there...BTW, what the [email protected]#$ is a wag? I hope you meant: "A humorous or droll person; a wit." All this bloody new UK slang that I need to learn :lol:

Yeah, you have a tough call here whether to keep that beauty but pay a premium for transportation/upkeep or just get a new ride and mod the heck out of it.

If you aren't too smitten w/ it, I say sell it. Get a new XT in AUS a make it even better than your '06 FSTi...I am sure you get tons of parts since you are closer to Japan.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts