Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1998 subaru forester l

attempting to drive up a colorado pass, experienced loss of power. Downshifted and applied more gas, but power loss continued until i had to park on the side of the road, stopped. Engine idled at about 1/4 typical idle and this lasted for about a minute until the engine stopped. I did a quick check after it stopped: Electrical connections seem fine, bright headlights, etc. No fluids on the ground, and fluids seemed to be topped off and normal. visible belts are good. not overheating.

Tried to start but it would not - seemed very hard for the engine to turn over at all while turning the key.

I suspect the fuel pump, what do you think it is? Please advise, am trying to attempt a fix in an unfamiliar town so i can get back or limp home.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
sounds

so when trying to restart it, it seemed hard to turn over the engine,
instead of raw raw raw raw vroooom
it was rrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaawwww

but the electrical was good as i saw that the headlights were bright.

Is there a relay involved? the auto store here does not have my chilton's manual.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I don't know how far you are from home, but my expeience is it's best to call a tow truck and haul it back home. If you have tow insurance, it will usually cover 30-40 miles depending on coverage level. This is one of true bargains in auto insurance.

Your problem could be many things; weak ignition module, timing belt slipped, mass air flow sensor, alternator failed and let battery gradually die, etc. Check battery voltage, if < 11V then alternator may be the problem.

Is Check ?Engine Light on? If yes, then check the code as this may point to the problem.

good luck

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
If you are getting it towed all four wheels must be off the ground!!! best to ask for a flatbed tow.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your problem could be many things; weak ignition module, timing belt slipped, mass air flow sensor, alternator failed and let battery gradually die, etc. Check battery voltage, if < 11V then alternator may be the problem.
good luck

32,000 miles ago, 3 year ago, i had the timing belt replaced. This was the third belt installed on the car.

The mechanics found the timing belt to be folded under itself, with the back of the belt worn away as if it had been worn on a guide. All tensioners looked ok, but they wondered / suspected if the belt was installed correctly.

The belt failed on the mountain pass, and destroyed most valves.
Thanks for your help. I think i'll post another post to see what my reaction to the mechanic might be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts