Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
First of all I hope this is the correct place to post a rear suspension shock absorbers problem, on my Subaru Forester 2004, SG model, 2.0 non-turbo car.
My right-rear strut gone out, so I had to replace it. As usually, I liked to do it myself, so, I bought some Drapper spring compressors, quite good stuff. And I bought 2 rear struts from KYB, left and right rear, 334344 and 334345, as described on KYB site
All went OK, took some hours and changed successful.
But now, the rear part is a little lower that it was before, it just lay down few centimeters than it was originally.
I think i discovered why, i think the original absorbers had more (?) gas inside (greater pressure) and the pistons were pushed out from the strut more forcefully, this contributing to the spring, placing the rear part of the car a little higher. Now, the new struts are not so pressurized and don't take too much of the car weight, all laying on springs, right now - this must be the reason the car is now standing down with the back.
This is quite annoying, seeing the car having the front higher and the back lower, like is overloaded with weight.
Now, what to do ?
I have to say the old original struts had a lateral small cylinder near the main strut cylinder and the new ones have not. Most probably the replacement parts I have got are not identically with original ones. Too bad. Because the stuff is done, I think for a solution to lift back of the car:
- maybe stronger/longer springs ?
- maybe a lift kit for rear part ?
What to do ?
Which is your opinion ?
Any suggestion is welcomed.
Thank you

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
You had SLS struts originally. When replacing with non-sls, you need to replace the springs as well. With SLS the struts control ride height and use very soft springs, with non SLS the spring controls ride height. You need either some aftermarket stock replacement springs or springs off a non-sls forester.

·
Registered
2004 Forester
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and thank you for your answer. I am looking now for non-SLS struts springs. But, when addressing the dealers, they ask me for the identification number of the car ( which is JF1SG5LK44G032808 ) and they find (in their catalogue) only the original springs, soft ones, which I already have. Do you know any code for a spring used for non-SLS struts ? Or car identification number, something they can reference when looking for such spring. Thank you

·
Registered
2005 2.0X AT
7 Posts
rear springs issue (Forester 2.0X - 2004)

Have you resolved problem with rear suspension level. I have exactly the same situation and still not able to resolve. Two types of springs changed (one - original weak, and another harder, but obviously not enough strong). If U have any new info, please post it. Thanks.

·
Registered
2007 FXT 4eat
260 Posts
Best bet is to get a lowering spring if you really can't find a none sls spring. Sls strut is quite expensive, almost 800usd each in my place. How did you know your sls strut are already busted?

·
Registered
2007 FXT 4eat
260 Posts
Lifter won't work since sls springs are too weak. It will easily go down with just two passengers at the rear.

·
Registered
2004 Forester
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you resolved problem with rear suspension level. I have exactly the same situation and still not able to resolve. Two types of springs changed (one - original weak, and another harder, but obviously not enough strong). If U have any new info, please post it. Thanks.
Hello, the problem is quite complicate.
I'll tell you what I was trying to do.
I have made some spacers in between the upper part of the springs an the spring locker - the upper pat which is mounted on the top of shock absorber piston - that is 35 mm high.
But the problem remains the same, the spring are too soft, so, even if the car is at normal level related to the ground, when is empty, the back will lay down quite fast when you put a little of weight on back of it. That would happen even if you make spacers in between spring and shock absorber or in between shock absorber (upper part) and the chassis.
I was trying to to to a car parts deposit and to look for similar springs (used ones) and to see which one fits to Subaru. The springs shall be thicker (I mean the coils) than the original ones. I saw that they shall be about 40cm high, shall have 13cm diameter at the bottom and 10cm diameter at the top, but shall be pig tailed (at least the upper part to be conical, else it will touch the car body, the space there is very tight, in between the strut and the carrosserie...)
OK, I was trying some springs from Opel Omega van, which is quite a big and heavy car, but i had the problem that the spring were not pig tailed enough and touched the car body, so I had to remove those springs.
There are some springs from kingsprings
--- info from don1952 --------------
If you already have the Non SLS rear struts and you are looking at lifting it then raised "King Springs" would be my way to go.........
Reading product info this would give approximate rise of 20mmF;30-40mmR
Go to Page 21 in catalogue........
www kingsprings com au/catalogue/kings_master_catalogue.pdf
[I think is KSRR-43...]
This would leave a more "realistic" fixed lift of 25mm similar to these.........
--------------------------------------
The guy who's selling king spring in Europe is
Patrice Ryder - [email protected]
It seems that the raised spring will lift 30mm. But I am still wondering if they are too sift, you have the chance that at a medium load, will lay down again...
----------------------------------
So, my friend, what shall we do ?
I'm thinking now again to search a very similar spring which is thicker, stronger, 400mm high, 13cm base diameter, 10 cm upper diameter and conical to the upper part, somehow...

·
Registered
2007 FXT 4eat
260 Posts
the only option here if you really don't want to get an sls strut since its too expensive is to get a swift spring, if you are not into dropping then now is the time to put a lifter to offset the drop of the swift.

This option is only good if you really can't get non sls spring or sls strut.

·
Registered
2006 XEn
7 Posts
hi
did you mannage to solve the situation?
i saw you are from romania :), just like me
now i will try to install all the SF suspension kit : strut + spring + mount.

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
Order normal springs from the US. Easiest way to do it.

·
Registered
2003 Forester XT
106 Posts
If you are still looking for springs, you could try:

Springs - Kingsprings.com.au KSRS-43 (pair) standard height springs (25% uprated). When I bought them two weeks ago, the cost was AUD $170.00 plus AUD $195 delivery by FedEx Priority Airmail (about £234.00 in total then an extra £32.00 import duty and admin charge when entering the UK)

Struts - KYB 334345 (left rear strut) and KYB334344 (right rear strut). You already have these and I used these parts too with the springs and everything is great now.

Go to the Gallery and my pictures are there if yoou want to see how the car looks now.

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
If you are still looking for springs, you could try:

Springs - Kingsprings.com.au KSRS-43 (pair) standard height springs (25% uprated). When I bought them two weeks ago, the cost was AUD $170.00 plus AUD $195 delivery by FedEx Priority Airmail (about £234.00 in total then an extra £32.00 import duty and admin charge when entering the UK)

Struts - KYB 334345 (left rear strut) and KYB334344 (right rear strut). You already have these and I used these parts too with the springs and everything is great now.

Go to the Gallery and my pictures are there if yoou want to see how the car looks now.
This is what I did too :biggrin:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts