Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

been a member here for years but have inactive for a bit having sold my white stb but still running a silver SF sti.
Anyway, couldn’t get my old profile up and running so set up a new one, so not a newbie.

however having got rid of my old service workshop manuals and now trying to use a mobile app I just want to swap over my headlights and am struggling with the removal of the headlight under trim. If I force any harder I’m sure they will just break so what’s the trick here. There are three clips but is it just brute force of due they slide or push a certain way to come off?

Any help greatly appreciated

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,762 Posts
It's done very carefully ;)

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,762 Posts
oops

The three inner clips are

The outer clips are

and

From a Russian website

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so managed to get that awful lower trim off without destroying anything.

But when I tried to fit the glass sf headlights there is one clip area for the bottom of the side light that is different and thus doesn’t allow the side light to sit correctly. Also there’s a small electrical plug in the rear of the glass headlights that I don’t have in the sti plastic headlights. Can I ignore this? I think it might be for beam adjustment but not sure.
hopefully it is just a case of getting matching side lights with the right lower clip connector and I’m all good?

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,762 Posts
It sounds as if your "new" headlights are from an earlier version. The headlights changed at the end of 1999 and so did the sidelights.
Sidelight wise the STI version is fitted with 84101FC061

The later sidelights didn't have the lower ball socket connector.

Electrical socket is more than likely for the headlight levelling system as you suspected.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Super helpful as always Don

only remaining worry is whether the absence of anything to plug into the headlight levelling system will cause me an issue if headlights need adjustment

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And of course now I can’t find any 2nd hand compatible light cluster units that are in good condition 😟

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,762 Posts
Super helpful as always Don

only remaining worry is whether the absence of anything to plug into the headlight levelling system will cause me an issue if headlights need adjustment
There should still be a mechanical means of setting the beam up. You just won't be able to lower it (the beam ) when the boot is full

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,762 Posts
And of course now I can’t find any 2nd hand compatible light cluster units that are in good condition 😟
Part numbers for early sidelights are RH- 84101FC000 and LH - 84101FC010
Lamp pivot (early models only) 84957FA000

·
Banned
6 Posts
I work at a GM dealership, the thing I see the most, is that the headlight housings have really wide mounting flanges that are behind the bumper, so big in fact, that its too large to pop out the hole without breaking Tutuapp 9apps Showbox something even if you could somehow get it unbolted first. ****'s retarded yo

·
Registered
1 Posts
My roof rails are snapped all to hell and in desperate need of replacement, gotta drop the headliner to remove them, I can't seem to find any guides on how to drop the headliner and I don't want to break any of the interior trim pieces while doing so. Anyone have a link for a guide on how to do it? Perhaps you are better at googling than I.

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,762 Posts
Interior/Exterior trim section

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts