Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forrester Limited
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Haven't posted in a while. I've got a '09 Forester that I LOVE. Though not a big fan of Subaru Service/Customer Service. How often does the AC need to be recharged? My AC wasn't working and when I brought it in for servicing, I was told that it needed to be recharged (and the 30,000 service I had a over the winter didn't catch this). I never had a AC problem in my CR-V. And I still have to pay for this?

And how often do cabin filters need to be changed? I just had this replaced and was told it needs to be replaced again. Is this a regular thing? I hate these *other* costs that keep creeping up that the maintenance plan does not cover. Are there any other maintenance costs that I need to be aware of? Outside of the maintenance plan? I figured I'd see regular wear and tear after 4years. Not when it's barely 2 years old.

Thanks!

p.s and do any Subaru service departments stay open past 5:30?

·
Registered
2010 Forester
217 Posts
Hi!

Haven't posted in a while. I've got a '09 Forester that I LOVE. Though not a big fan of Subaru Service/Customer Service. How often does the AC need to be recharged? My AC wasn't working and when I brought it in for servicing, I was told that it needed to be recharged (and the 30,000 service I had a over the winter didn't catch this). I never had a AC problem in my CR-V. And I still have to pay for this?

And how often do cabin filters need to be changed? I just had this replaced and was told it needs to be replaced again. Is this a regular thing? I hate these *other* costs that keep creeping up that the maintenance plan does not cover. Are there any other maintenance costs that I need to be aware of? Outside of the maintenance plan? I figured I'd see regular wear and tear after 4years. Not when it's barely 2 years old.

Thanks!

p.s and do any Subaru service departments stay open past 5:30?
Usually, you can go a long time (I've gone ~10 yrs in past cars) without recharging the AC system -- sounds like there's a leak and you lost refrigerant, so the leak will need to be found and fixed first (or maybe there's a blockage, and the fluid isn't moving). The cabin filter should be replaced every year regardless of mileage ( I do this with my other cars).

I don't know the service hours for the various dealers in our area -- give them a call and find out.

I developed a maintenance schedule based on the maintenance book and my opinions on things from past experiences.

Regards,
paul...

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
Hi!

Haven't posted in a while. I've got a '09 Forester that I LOVE. Though not a big fan of Subaru Service/Customer Service. How often does the AC need to be recharged? My AC wasn't working and when I brought it in for servicing, I was told that it needed to be recharged (and the 30,000 service I had a over the winter didn't catch this). . And I still have to pay for this?

QUOTE]

Are you under 36,000 miles and still under warranty? If so, can't think why you'd have to pay to have the AC recharged. It's leaking somewhere, and the system is under warranty. If you are over 36,000miles, it's a different ballgame.
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,858 Posts
I've never had to recharged the A/C in our vehicles & the Neon Sport is 15 years old, but if yours needs recharging since the A/C is weak, it needs it. :smile:

As to the cabin filter replacement. It depends on where you drive & park. This is an easy DIY project. You can see what the one looked like in my '07 FSXT here after 2 years. Take a look here at what I recently found on my '03 X! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
310 Posts
And watch out for some of their prices. Earlier in the week I got a "coupon" in the mail from my local Subaru dealer. It was for having the cabin air filter replaced, the price (with "coupon") was $75. I realize they're a business that needs to cover their own costs and make a profit. Now granted I haven't looked into how difficult it is to change on the '09 Forester, but on previous vehicles the filter was about $15 and could be changed in under 10 minutes.

But I will say this, I believe their service department is open until 7:30 or 8

·
Registered
2010 Forester N/A 5spd
24 Posts
lol, it takes less than 2minutes to change the cabin filter on the 09 forester.Just check the owners manual very easy DIY job.F____G stellarship.

·
Registered
2002 Forester
33 Posts
$15 and 10 minutes. did have to refer to the forum for assistance. thanks forum.
pretty dirty after 2 years. but now it's in an indy shop getting a 30k service and they would not discount the fact that they don't have to do this. so i guess i wasted $15 and 10 minutes. bought filters online for both cars. the 02 didn't have one at all.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts