Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on Monday after work I was rear ended and it appeared that there was minimal damage. I was really surprised at how little obvious damage there was because the guy that hit me really hit me good. It appears bumper is only sagging about a 1/4" on the driverside and my cobb exhaust might be sitting crooked, this really pissed me off sine I just had it installed 2 weeks ago and they are so hard to come by these days.:mob::mob:

Now I'm waiting for the insurance to figure everything out but I noticed today that my cargo cover no longer fits properly. There appears to be about a 1/4 to 1/2" gap now when I try and put the bar for the cover in the slots behind the rear seats... Could it be possible that the damage is worse that I thought and the body of the vehicle is now a half inch wider??? Additionally there is a gap between the interior wall of the car and the rear seat backs on either side now... I've never noticed that before but I'm super paranoid and noticing every little thing right now. The lines of the car look okay to me from the outside but after the accident... I really hope that the FXT is not totaled I've only had her for 3 months now....

I'll try and post pics tomorrow

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
896 Posts
You should get it checked over by a pro. someone with a body shop you trust. It could have done a lot more than you think... I've seen some tweaked frames from things that look very minor. But also, it may be nothing, you might be fine.

Either way, I'd get the car looked over. It's on whoever hit you to fix it so make sure it's 100% fixed

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of taking it to the dealership to get looked at. I've never used their bodyshop but I figure they might know best if it's tweaked. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
896 Posts
Dealer works too. If you know of a good body shop I'd go there, they'll be able to give you quotes for parts and labor you'll need to deal with insurance anyway. The dealer will as well, but may not have some body shop specific tools like frame racks, which could help determine if any serious damage was done.

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
I've never noticed that before but I'm super paranoid and noticing every little thing right now.
That right there causes me more headaches than anything with fixing people's cars. Simple solution to put your mind at rest (or prove there is something amiss) is to find another Foz and compare the gaps. This is probably best done at the stealership. I suspect it's probably not bent, as to do damage that far up would usually mean far more visible damage at the back end.

I'd just wait until you have the insurance estimate and take that to the shop along with your Foz and have them give it a look. The body shop will want to a) make it right and more importantly, b) make as much money as they can so if it needs more work, they'll cheerfully call the insurer and have them reinspect it.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
Sorry to read about your troubles. Im also anal about my cars. If I were to have an accident that required any panel replacement, I have always sold off that car. to me, nothing is as good as factory new.

With your problem, I would take it to whoever fixed it and ask. Get the insurance people involved as well.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
Take out the magnifying glass. What about the damage you can't see?

·
Registered
2008 Forester Sport
7 Posts
best thing to do is get it checked. Mine goes in monday to get her new tailgate and bumper cover. I had to drive her to work last night and I kept hearing this metal on metal sound and it was freaking me out. Turns out it was the tire iron that had popped out of its mount fromt he crash.

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
18 Posts
I agree with taking it to the dealership. Point out your concerns for them and they'll be able to tell you if that was caused by the crash. They're going to want your business, so I wouldn't worry about them telling you "Oh, that's fine" if it wasn't really true.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well my car is at the body shop and the damage was worse than I thought. One of the frame rails was buckled... but I trust the body shop and they say it's completely fixable. THey claim everything will be up to subie specs. They will have my car on the unibody rack this week and get everything worked out for me.

Although this is a compete pain I'm glad that the damage is fixable and the car was not totaled. Where else would I find an '04 FXT 5MT with only 29k miles? I got her for a stral 3 months ago and would have been really bummed if she was totaled.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts