Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's car, 2006 Forester 2.5X, now has about 70K miles. It does a couple things that is a bit strange. I do the routine scheduled fluid changes, usually changing the oil every 5k. It started loosing oil about 20K miles ago about half way between oil changes, usually requiring an additional quart to quart and a half before the next oil change. There is no evidence of leakage on the garage floor or oil burning via the exhaust by sight or smell. My question, is this common for Subaru Foresters? Any advise?

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,221 Posts
I see it's your first post. Welcome. Tip: in the future, try to put something more specific in your post title. This greatly helps in searches others may do in the future that have the same problem.

I've owned a couple Subarus. The all aluminum engine can use a bit of oil compared to regular cast iron engines as the tolerances can be a bit looser. So I wouldn't say you've necessarily got a 'problem'. One tip I got from an Outback owner was to clean or replace the PCV valve. When these get a bit crudded up and stick, they can create excessive pressure in the crankcase, which in turn can force oil into the combustion chamber and burn it off. The owner claimed it all but negated oil consumption on his higher mileage 2.5. Inexpensive, and worth a try.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies,
I will look at the PCV valve and see if it is a problem.

I am currently using Castrol GXT 5-30 with the oil change interval of every 5000 miles. My wife has a daily commute of about 20 miles all highway driving.

Thanks,
David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts