Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i MT
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CR September issue listed Forester as having the highest score among SUV's for it pedestrian detection/auto braking system.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i MT
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read it in a library, and can't recall those details. Does anyone have a copy or a digital subscription and can answer phwang7's question?

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,496 Posts
It sure works great for me in my 2018, but I have to remember that it's not there when I'm driving my wife's 2016.

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
177 Posts
Yes it surprised me when a person walked in front of me while I was stopped at a red light. When you are in a line ex picking up child at school if the car moves away from me a dialog box pops letting me know that car in front moved I think it did beep.
lou cioccio

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,496 Posts
No dispute about that, but I always welcome a little bit of help from my friends.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,301 Posts
I read it in a library, and can't recall those details. Does anyone have a copy or a digital subscription and can answer phwang7's question?
I find no such article in the September issue.

The August issue had extensive coverage of vehicle safety systems. CR did NOT conduct any tests, nor publish ratings. They did report the results of their reader survey assessing opinions of systems in several categories. One of them was not, specifically, "pedestrian detection." In the category "Forward Collision Warning and Front Automatic Emergency Braking," Eyesight was included among five brands favored by owners, but they were not ranked. They mentioned that, when they rate vehicles, they give extra credit to systems that detect pedestrians, but did not break down performance or features by brand.

Again, this was not a ratings or a test-report article. It was a report on the results of a reader survey that asked if these advanced safety systems (lane assist, blind spot warning, emergency braking, adaptive cruise control, etc. etc.) were helpful or annoying, and used the opportunity to discuss the state of the industry in this regard and the overall benefits of these features.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
912 Posts
What's the order of ranking of other brands and what was their methodology?
Consumer Reports sure has a lot of surveys. Last time I tried to get information out of an issue of CR it was useless, as most of the surveys were filled out by people who just owned stuff, but weren't very knowledgeable.

In terms of the pedestrian avoidance, it's mentioned in other threads but here are some ratings:

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
67 Posts
Here is an IIHS test of some Pedestrian Emergency Systems, BMW is not the "Ultimate Stoping Machine".....

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,301 Posts
Good (bad, really) to know that content is not being made available to digital subscribers.

·
Registered
19 19 Touring, 17TrgXT CVT
632 Posts
Here is a link to the JNCAP tests of the Forester. See pedestrian safety section:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts